new to marine fish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kleko

hello im am getting into a marine tank I have a nano cube on its way and im wondering what eles I need, and what are easy fish and coral to take care of to start. If you could help me out this would be awsome
thanks,
mason

M

marks69

you'll have lots of time to read up on them.  your tank should be set up with live rock and sand and saltwater for around 6 weeks before adding any livestock.  then mabye a pair of perc's, or something small like firefish?
gl
mark

xxmurrxx

Easy to care for fish : Clown or other Damsel
Coral: For me never had a problem with zoa's get some fairly cheap frags and see how it goes.

They may be classified as "easy" but I would still research them and anything else you buy for your tank.

E

estwing2

Don't know what size your nano is but rule of thumb two small fish or one med for every 10 gal. Nano's usually come with lighting that is  best suited for softies, unless you upgrade to better lighting.  When considering fish best to think what fish will help to take care of the environment in the tank. Just a suggestion that helped me with my nano.
estwing2 :)

Seggsy

I have found that if you take the live rock, sand, and water from an established system you can start on the livestock much sooner - pretty much right away once you are sure the water is stable for a day or so.  Have fun.

D

Dr BlueThumb

Agreed with seggsy.

You can even add  some sand rock's, heater, saltwater,flow etc to a rubbermaid bin and get started now, if you want.

Kleko

well i have 30 punds of live rock in a 24g nano cube. I also have in it some zoanthid frags, mushrooms, one grass coral, a snail, a crab, and the clown. The tank is used i actualy got it from rick. so nothing is new thats why I found no need to cycle it.

ricklalonde

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Kleko link said:
well i have 30 punds of live rock in a 24g nano cube. I also have in it some zoanthid frags, mushrooms, one grass coral, a snail, a crab, and the clown. The tank is used i actualy got it from rick. so nothing is new thats why I found no need to cycle it.

You will still need to cycle but because the rock/sand is mature it won't take as long or be as hard on your livestock.

Read these two articles about the Nitrogen cycle and Natural Filtration.

http://www.nano-reef.com/articles/?article=17

http://www.nano-reef.com/articles/?article=3

Kleko

sweet thanks for these link rick. but I think it will take me a while To fully understand it and how to cary it out.

S

shayneh

That is good and while you read the links and figure them out your tank is becoming more stable (it's like a circle).....go slow and research before doing anything and you'll be successful..... only bad things happen fast with saltwater...

Status
Not open for further replies.