New to SPS...where to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

IrishPride

Looking to possibly venture into some sps for some color pop.  I've had good success in maintaining a strictly Lps system (softies, frogspawn, hammers, torch etc) but not happy with the color of my tank. 

Any suggestions as to what I should start with?  OR know of any wicked lps that have some bright colors (without breaking the bank)

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
do you have any LEDs, specifically Royal Blues on the tank?  That could make all the difference, and honestly LPS is a LOT easier than sps, and in my opinion, can be a lot more colourful.  A lot of sps guys end up doing an lps tank at some point. 

Feeding, good lighting and Royal blue accent lighting will likely get you what you want.

I

IrishPride

I'm running T5s.  Can't remember my bulbs in order...all ati bulbs....blue plus, purple plus, 6500k and coral plus bulbs.  I'll check it out when I get home....horrible memory.

I don't really want to venture into sps (no offense to anyone) if I don't have to.  That statement is solely based on my inexperience. ..I've seen you tank in person salty and think it is amazing and I'd like to add some pop/depth.

Maybe I will just mix up some chalice/acan throughout for some more color....

Kleko

Just pick up some sps frags from someone and see how they turn out. If they do well, you know your safe to get more. Thats what I did and its worked for the most part.

jroovers

Super Active Member
I think you can add colour either through SPS or LPS... in relation to a LPS system, SPS systems will typically require stronger lighting, stronger flow, and more stable water parameters (less nutrients typically and stable dkh and Ca).  That said, there is no reason you can't try some of the easier to keep SPS - such as monti caps, monti digitata, or even millepora.  Your lighting should be more than adequate to keep SPS, especially if you place them higher up in your tank.  I guess it all depends on the colours, forms, shapes, and overall "look" you are going for with your system.  You can shell out a small amount of cash for relatively common frags of both LPS or SPS, or you can spend big $ on the most colourful, highly soughtafter LPS and SPS pieces.  If I were you, I wouldn't make the jump to expensive SPS right off the hop though - start with some cheap frags - many readily had SPS frags are very colourful, relativley cheap, hardy to the aquarium, and often under-rated in terms of their colour. 

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Kleko link said:
Just pick up some sps frags from someone and see how they turn out. If they do well, you know your safe to get more. Thats what I did and its worked for the most part.

+1, my system is dominant lps and I did this too, some died instantly but I have a couple still and there doing amazing.
You can't go wrong with a couple 5-10$ frags

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Salty Cracker link said:
I still think a strip of royal blues will do amazing things for corals that T5 can't (colour wise).  Fairly inexpensive too.

im going to attempt this sooner or later

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Poseidon link said:
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=4350.msg40279#msg40279 date=1360607951]
I still think a strip of royal blues will do amazing things for corals that T5 can't (colour wise).  Fairly inexpensive too.

im going to attempt this sooner or later
[/quote]

Even with the new lighting upgrades I'm doing today, I'm still keeping a strip of 28 RB's on the tank for late evening viewing pleasure, there's just nothing like them (and I could never duplicate with MH or T5s).

I

IrishPride

Exactly...I was thinking of picking up a frag and see how I do.

P

phi delt reefer

try the digi's and monti caps and milli's like jroovers mentioned. Those grow well in mixed reefs for they are not as demanding and grow pretty quickly. Keep them near the top of you tank and you should be fine. If they appear to have poor color (ie. browned out) then you probably need to have a look at your water quality or lighting.

IrishPride link said:
I'm running T5s.  Can't remember my bulbs in order...all ati bulbs....blue plus, purple plus, 6500k and coral plus bulbs.  I'll check it out when I get home....horrible memory.

I don't really want to venture into sps (no offense to anyone) if I don't have to.  That statement is solely based on my inexperience. ..I've seen you tank in person salty and think it is amazing and I'd like to add some pop/depth.

T5's will keep SPS without any issues.

If you're happy with your mix reef and the SPS doesnt shine, I wouldnt worry too much. Either you can invest more resources into getting your reef sps ready or you can just be happy with what you have. LPS come in a variety of colors and they are always more interesting to non-reefers then sps ever will be. (Look how many people love GSP!)

I

IrishPride

Definitely.  I love the motion in my tank.  I just want to add something that makes it stand out.  I'm really lacking a center piece and I'm kind of at a cross roads.

I'm quite happy with my lighting and don't really plan on upgrading any time soon...ill likely try a frag or too but that may be the extent....  I'm on the fence at this point.

tdb320reef

Website
www.coralfragz.com
phi delt reefer link said:
try the digi's and monti caps and milli's like jroovers mentioned. Those grow well in mixed reefs for they are not as demanding and grow pretty quickly. Keep them near the top of you tank and you should be fine. If they appear to have poor color (ie. browned out) then you probably need to have a look at your water quality or lighting.

[quote author=IrishPride link=topic=4350.msg40271#msg40271 date=1360603109]

T5's will keep SPS without any issues.

If you're happy with your mix reef and the SPS doesnt shine, I wouldnt worry too much. Either you can invest more resources into getting your reef sps ready or you can just be happy with what you have. LPS come in a variety of colors and they are always more interesting to non-reefers then sps ever will be. (Look how many people love GSP!)
[/quote]

+1  Also Birds Nest are all a good start.

I

IrishPride

Thanks for the input guys.
Gonna get hooked up soon with a birdsnest and a red digi and try things out...

Having just seen a few pics of your monster sps system and going trough Darryls pics is truly inspirational and all the more motivation to try.

tdb320reef

Website
www.coralfragz.com
Get something like the ORA sourapple or neon green (poofy ones)  seem to do well as beginner SPS.  I usually give them to reefers locally that want to buy a SPS pack and I now that they are not ready.  Then I tell them if they can keep it alive for 30 days to come back and buy the pack...lol.

I

IrishPride

Tee has a couple I think I'm gonna try out.  Looking forward to it!  Going to be bugging you all for input moving forward!!

Status
Not open for further replies.