New to Tanks in General

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mommy3

Good Day,

I am new to the entire fish and fish tank world ( which seems to be large and vast)... My children wanted fish so I got a tank and some fish... have been told about some of the things that I should look into doing with the tank and am looking to see what options I have available....

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Welcome to the forum. Is it a saltwater or freshwater setup you have?

Look forward to seeing photos of your tank and fish.

M

mommy3

In staying with the fresh water tank for now ( looking to save some money and start a seperate salt water tank)  with the minimal fish that I have ( 55 gallon tank , 3 angel fish they are a little agressive, one shark not sure of the name and a pleco 7 inches long) I have I am looking to see what other things that are easy to maintain that I can add to the tank (remembering that the tank is for my kids and there is not alot of time that I can dedicate to the tank)

Thanks for all and any suggestions 

M

mommy3

My set up is very simple at themoment I have 3 angel fish about 3-4 inches in size, I have a  black shark not sure of the type of fish I got him for free and my son liked him he is about 4-5 inches in length, i have a pleco that is 8 inches in length thinking about changing him out for a smaller one. I have what I believe to be a 55 gallon tank. There are a few fake plants. This is a fresh water tank.

Thinking of either changing over what I already have ( from fresh to salt) because I was told that this would be easier than starting a brand new tank but that is an option for me as well. I started this for my children and just looking to see what I can do with this instead of just what I have. 

dale

freshwater is prob best for you ,, as saltwater requires a great deal of dedication and a fair amount of money, all you will need is a proper light a heater and a good filter, i would recomend an aqua-clear hang on the back filter model 70, or a fluval canister filter recommended for 1 size bigger than your tank,,, and change 10-15% of water every 2 weeks,, remember to declorinante,,, with angels you are limited to what you can put with them because they are a bit agressive,,, you can put a few live plants in there , they will actually help maintain your tank, not too many though as you will have to maintain them if there is too many... when you find a good ballance it will pretty much take care of its self,, youll need a nitrate test kit,, if they get high... water change! i would keep your freshwater for at least a year before you think about trying salt... just my opinion... any other questions.. just ask...

Status
Not open for further replies.