New to the forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CherryBlossom

Hey Guys, I'm new to the forum & hobby...
My Name's Teri & I am from Kitchener, Ontario

I'm a very outgoing person and willing to learn new things, I'm very dedicated to my animals & reptiles!
Looking forward to talking with everyone and learning about the hobby, I currently am in the works of getting a 29 gallon bio cube, Also have a 35 gallon tank downstairs that i was thinking about converting into a salt water as well, Any pointers or suggestions to get me started would be great!

Hope everyone is having a wonderful week,
Teri

davesolo29

Super Active Member
Hi Teri,

Welcome to thefragtank.
Im from Kitchener too.  Nice to see more people local to me on here.  WooHoo!!!!
Great bunch of people on here.  Ask lots of questions, and we will try to answer as best we can.
You are definately doing the right thing by looking for advice before diving in.

CherryBlossom

davesolo29 link said:
Hi Teri,

Welcome to thefragtank.
Im from Kitchener too.  Nice to see more people local to me on here.  WooHoo!!!!
Great bunch of people on here.  Ask lots of questions, and we will try to answer as best we can.
You are definately doing the right thing by looking for advice before diving in.

Thanks Davesolo29, Nice to know there are Kitchener people on here! :D

Any suggestions about the bio cube 29 gallon and upgrading the equipment? i'd like to buy everything on the spot with the tank and live rock, sand , salt before anything? I'm going to use RO Water mixed with salt, I was told to not use tap water!

I just don't know where to start with upgrades? I'm wanting to do a reef tank with some fish, More so a display tank for the den

davesolo29

Super Active Member
are you looking for new or used?
i had a biocube once,, got it filled with sand, rock, and water.  never got any further than that.  So... im not really the guy to ask about biocubes.
Lots of members here use them and love them.  I know that there is at least one fully set up for sale in the classifieds here.

http://www.thefragtank.ca/forum/index.php?topic=4062.msg37344#forum_top

jerry should be able to help you out quite a bit.

spyd

Super Active Member
Welcome! I'm just outside the KW area as well. A bio-cube is a nice starting tank to get you going. The biggest thing with them is getting a quality skimmer. I would honestly take a good hard look at the one Jerry is selling. It is a nice setup that has been modified correctly. The Tunze skimmer is the one to go for on the bio-cube. Even if you don't buy the tank from him, maybe he is willing to sell you one of the skimmers. Have you considered the HQI model at all or what lighting are you going with? It makes a big difference in what type of corals you can maintain in the system.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
New to the forum!

Biocubes are definitely fun. I do have 2 of the tunze 9002, but I will have to try all the pumps I have for them as I had one die due to water level dropping in skimmer chamber while I was away. I wish I could keep mine, I would definitely re aqua scape it though!

CherryBlossom

New to the forum!

I haven't looked at any other lighting for the tank yet, got a gift card from big Al's so that was paying for the tank

I will look at Jerry's tank again after work and think about a reasonable offer!

CherryBlossom

New to the forum!

I think I'm just going to get a new tank and do the upgrades myself use it as a teaching experience for myself as I'm new to this all...

Going to get live rock and start with that letting it cycle on its own

nitro069

Welcome to the forum cherry. I'm sure you will love your time here. For your water make sure you have an ro/di and a tds meter to keep your water at 0 tds. From what I've seen/heard/read alot of problems start with "dirty" water. The other thing is remermber to read and educate yourself asmuch as possibe. Nothing good happens fast and bad things happen quick. By the sounds of it your off to a good start, I look foward to seeing your tank when u get it set up. We love pictures here. 

CherryBlossom

New to the forum!

Thanks Nitro! I'm thinking about getting the already mixed water from the fish store, I've been told by a few people to go with that or the RO water in my tank! Was looking at lights and everything yesterday, Anyone suggest a good online store for saltwater equipment!? To order from

I have a 36" long x 17" high x 12" width I'm not sure how many gallons this tank is downstairs I might just convert?

P

phi delt reefer

Re: New to the forum!

CherryBlossom link said:
Thanks Nitro! I'm thinking about getting the already mixed water from the fish store, I've been told by a few people to go with that or the RO water in my tank! Was looking at lights and everything yesterday, Anyone suggest a good online store for saltwater equipment!? To order from

I have a 36\" long x 17\" high x 12\" width I'm not sure how many gallons this tank is downstairs I might just convert?

I believe that tank is called a 30 gallon Tall.

You should invest in an ro/di filtration system if you are looking to get into the hobby longterm. The pre-mixed stuff can get pricey and when its out of stock you'll lapse on the husbandry.

Don't buy premixed the store makes itself. You never know how well maintained there filters are. Many "pet shops" just use tap water for they don't house water quality sensitive livestock or corals. A dedicated saltwater store is the only place to buy store mixed but only as a last resort IMO.

nitro069

phi delt reefer link said:
You should invest in an ro/di filtration system if you are looking to get into the hobby longterm. The pre-mixed stuff can get pricey and when its out of stock you'll lapse on the husbandry.

Don't buy premixed the store makes itself. You never know how well maintained there filters are. Many \"pet shops\" just use tap water for they don't house water quality sensitive livestock or corals. A dedicated saltwater store is the only place to buy store mixed but only as a last resort IMO.

+1,

plus your able to keep a supply of water at home for emergency water changes and track the quality of water. 

davesolo29

Super Active Member
if you want to buy premixed salt water, i can sell you some every week.  bring your own container.
0tds rodi water, mixed to 1.024 with reef crystals.
Im sure we can come up with a decent price for it that is fair.
i know Blob used to sell to people all the time.  Flavio at Advanced Reef in Milton also sells saltwater.

jeff.l

Welcome, also from Kitchener. Nice to have another local saltie

Sent by little green men....

CherryBlossom

Thanks guys! I figured it was a 35 gallon but really couldn't remember got it a few years back! Figured it would be good to turn into a salt water tank

Thanks for the welcome Jeff!

I'm sure we can work something out Dave, Thank you for the offer!

Phi delt reefer - I will look into a filtration system as well, Check out ebay and such!

Status
Not open for further replies.