New to thefragtank.ca

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HappyHarry

Well. I've been reading all your posts and learning what I can. I am new to the salt water hobby, but so far enjoying every minute of it. I started out in Aug/11 with a little 35 gallon and quickly realized that I have the bug so everything got moved to the 75 gallon. (There goes the Budget).
The tank is fully cycled and a few fishies decided it was time to move in. Now I just need to finish the aqua-scape so that we can start adding the shrooms and Xenia

I hope to meet up with a lot of you throughout this process and share experiences.
Harry

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Hey Happy,

Welcome to the club.  You will find out that this hobby can quickly become an obsession.  Looks like you are off to a decent start....but no sump?  I like the freshwater tank below but a sump is really going to help.  Are you planing a Fish only?  Do you have a skimmer?

Basically...can you tell us a bit more about your set up?

thanks

H

HappyHarry

The goal is to eventually have a sump/fuge. The transition from fresh water to salt water is a slow one. The stand that I have doesn't have the room for a sump so I am entertaining the idea of building my own stand (challenging in an apartment) or converting to a steel stand and closing it in. I'm adding another 30 lbs of rock this weekend so the DT is quickly running out of room.
I plan on having a few Xenia, Zoas and Mushrooms but with my lighting that will be about it.
I hope to find a Pulsing Xenia in the city this week but so far no luck. IA has a beautiful Blue Xenia that I still think is a nice piece for a starter.
I'm running the Seaclone 100 for a skimmer. After doing all the mods and a few trips to Rona, I've got it to a half a cup a day of gross $hit from the tank.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Well as you progress.....please take advantage of the experience of others because there can be a long hard learning curve.

Looks like you have enough rock to me.  I would save that money and put it towards other up grades.  Don't believe the hype that you NEED 1.5-2lbs or rock per gallon. 

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Dear god do not rush anything. Like most people here, including myself, we learned that time is key. I thought I was going slow enough, but.... made too big of an upgrade too quickly. Things look good so far. These guys seem to know what they are talking about.

You being in London, be sure to check out all the stores when looking for Frags, plus this site owner goes to do frag drops in London periodically, so keep an eye out here. The Box of Water and Sealife Central have always been great.

Status
Not open for further replies.