New Toy Coming Today.

Skim

Well new toy coming today.

regal%20170sss_white%20(1).jpg

Skim

All right, about 5 min after I posted the Fed X guy was knocking. Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy Christmas time in July.
So just some quick notes.
No instructions, zip, zero, nada so if this was your first skimmer well have fun.
Took me 20 min. to figure out which way the pump goes on the base, only goes one way.
Well built fit and finish is very very good I would have to say pretty much perfect.
Fed X info said 20.5 lbs. I pulled the Body the Cup and was like why is this 20 lbs. well then pulled the pump. No fooling around here, this has to min. half the weight they are not kidding around when they made these new pumps, over sized everything.
Got it up and running, left gate wide open and that's about it for now.
First thing I did notice though was DEAD QUITE from sitting back about three feet all I can hear is the sizzle from the bubbles ( cup is off ) and the lack of turbulence in the body, just like a smooth roll. Should even be better as the water level will increases when adjustments are made.
I know I said I was done with needle wheel skimmers after running the Aqua C EV but I want to go more maintenance free and you cant get a Neck Cleaner for the EV skimmer, now if this things anywhere close to what the EV did I will be very happy. I don't know where that EV was pulling all the stuff it was pulling, I think it was making it because what it would pull is truly amazing.
So main reasons I got the Regal 170 SSS is size fits well in my sump. 7" Body not 6" or 8" and goes into a 4" neck not 3" or 5".
Next would be the pump Air pull 800 to 1200 l/h and water up to 1600 l/h and heard good reports on them.
Next would be the fact that I can get a neck cleaner for it. I have the large RO waste collector already so looking forward to not having to touch skimmer for like a month or two at a time.
I will try and get some pic's once she's producing some thing and do an up date, but so far I am liking it.

All the best!
Skim

P.S this better be the last one for a long time, this makes number 7 in just over a year. I think I will be posting some skimmers for sale soon.

Skim

Well I just don't know what to say, I will have to figure it out, but I can say 2 thumbs up and 2 big toes to boot. I tip my hat to CoralVue and Reef Octopus you stepped up to the plate big time with the Regal Line. I did take some photos but do you think I can figure out get them on here. I did it before I figure it out. Just thought of it the one thing that did stand out was no micro bubbles going into sump right from the start nothing nada and I did nothing to the Skimmer right out of the box straight into the sump. That did impress me, I have had skimmers blow bubbles for a week into the sump and this one nothing.

All the best!

Skim

Skim

Well that depends in the US they say 112/110 and here we call them 100 it is 60" x 18" x 24" with 40 gal sump when running holds about 20. I figure add rock and sand where back to the 100 Gal mark.

Skim

Yes they do they start at 150-6" all the way to 300-12" that is rated for 500 gal heavy bio load to 700 gal light bio load.

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
I hope this unit does the trick and lasts a life time for you. Please post updates and maybe even a pic of what it starts collecting once it's broken in.

Skim

I must admit I am just loving this thing, I never had any skimmer just put foam in the cup no liquid its strange, I have a drain hooked up but even so I would normally get at least a bit of liquid in the cup, even 1 or 2 mm but its just foam and its blowing foam into the waste collector. It will even produce foam with pump set a 1 very slowly but it does. Its like having 5 skimmers in one. That Regal 300 must be a beast 12" body and 7" neck with the 5500 dc pump it pulls 1200 l/r to 2000 l/r of air and 475 gal of water.

Skim

The 200 is a 8" body and 5" neck comes with the 3500 pump same as mine. Go to the CoralVue site they them all there with whatever info you would want.

BigReefer

Super Active Member
i went to reef supplies canada ... i have had good shipments with them ,....

The pump and controller are connected via a waterproof 3-conductor union. The detachable controller will allow for a simple waterproof union. The volute can rotate to change the pump's output orientation in 90 degree intervals, meaning users can output water vertically (up or down) as well as horizontally.

*There is an addition part needed to convert the pump to the skimmer body for some models that must be requested at the time of purchase due to the added cost of the part.

i dont know what the last part means ... does it mean its missing parts?

Skim

I see said the blind man. What you read is there general info for the pump. If you buy the Regal or Elite you need nothing, you can buy the pumps separate to add to or replace other skimmer pumps and you would have to buy the Needle wheel and what ever else you would need to attach to the skimmer.