Newbie On Site

Harte

2F75A891-6006-4911-AE04-BA2924F8DC0E.jpeg
2FAF99BA-8DD3-40D6-9FCC-DDDD88D6ABA4.jpeg
E87B6A2E-6D2D-46B7-B35F-0217C98F4104.jpeg
87EBB32E-1298-4F17-9739-E1C1EC8B00DB.jpeg
52B93D3A-BC15-4B40-8F74-235AF7350022.jpeg
62AB6684-35BB-4674-A9B0-D947D5308B1A.jpeg

I am fortunate to have taken over a 10 year old mature marine tank. The tank includes a mated pair of clow fish and two yellow tail damsels. There are 6-7 different healthy corals as well as a black brittlestar and two sandsifter starfish. It has been a week since the breakdown, move and setup and everything seems happy. My levels have stayed stable and today with a small spike in nitrates, I did a 10 gallon water change. I believe I also have some anemones but I can not identify them. I was told they are Condylactis however they are completely white where photos I have found online show Condylactis with coloured tips on their tentacles.
Any help in specifically identifying my corals would be greatly appreciated

Thanks and hello to everyone!

Joshbrookkate

Welcome! Not sure, but those anemones appear to be bleached. Feeding and light should help.
I think you have a fox coral, as well. Nice!

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Nice start. There is what looks to be some GSP, green nepthea, fox coral, and a bubble coral even. I would wage that the anemone is actually a eteractis magnifica as the Condylactis normally have purple tips. The one thing you do really need to get on top of the aiptasia that is covering the rock in the first pic you posted. It is a pest and will quickly over run the tank. There are a few different ways people get rid of them. Peppermint shrimp and Aiptasia X are the 2 more popular options.

Harte

Nice start. There is what looks to be some GSP, green nepthea, fox coral, and a bubble coral even. I would wage that the anemone is actually a eteractis magnifica as the Condylactis normally have purple tips. The one thing you do really need to get on top of the aiptasia that is covering the rock in the first pic you posted. It is a pest and will quickly over run the tank. There are a few different ways people get rid of them. Peppermint shrimp and Aiptasia X are the 2 more popular options.
Been using Aiptasia X and have eradicated much of the Aiptasia. Am waiting for some Berghia Nudibranch as I have read they will attack and eat every one I have no access to such as those in deep crevices or under rocks.
Thanks for your reply

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Been using Aiptasia X and have eradicated much of the Aiptasia. Am waiting for some Berghia Nudibranch as I have read they will attack and eat every one I have no access to such as those in deep crevices or under rocks.
Thanks for your reply
Another good choice. I have seen them posted somewhere else. I will try and find it and let you know

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Harte

Another good choice. I have seen them posted somewhere else. I will try and find it and let you know

TORX, It appears I have the Aiptasia under control except those in crevices or under shelf’s/rocks. I have discovered the Berghia can sometimes eat anemone so as long as long as I have things under control I will abstain. Do peppermint shrimp eat anemone or can they be harmful to anything else in my tank besides the Aiptasia?
I appreciate your thoughts and help identifying everything in my tank.

Cheers!

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
TORX, It appears I have the Aiptasia under control except those in crevices or under shelf’s/rocks. I have discovered the Berghia can sometimes eat anemone so as long as long as I have things under control I will abstain. Do peppermint shrimp eat anemone or can they be harmful to anything else in my tank besides the Aiptasia?
I appreciate your thoughts and help identifying everything in my tank.

Cheers!
Great to hear. Lots of people have success with peppermint shrimp. Just be sure it is an actual peppermint shrimp as there are several similar ones. There is a chart somewhere online. I will try and fine it when I get home.