Newbie question

T

tishrisha

Okay so I recently purchased rock from a tank that had the rock in it for over a year and put it in my tank that I just started up. Will the tank be cycled automatically because the rock was in a well cycled tank or does each tank have to run its own cycle? I'm confused lol. Help! :)

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I see that you read the thread about tank cycling. That should have answered most your questions about the cycle. In short, no, the rock does not mean your tank is cycled, but it will help start the cycle. Test test test, patience, then test some more until the cycle is complete.

T

tishrisha

Lol. Patience is the hardest part starting this hobby...but it looks like it's worth the wait! Thanks!

DerekL

In some instances when 1 1/2 to 2 pounds of live rock per gallon is used the length of your cycle may be shorter. Like Torx said test test test your water parameters. That it slow don't rush rushing things only complicates things down the road.  And never feel like you are asking a stupid question. We where all where you are now at some point asking these questions.  Anyways you are in good hands here

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
What are your test results as far as ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? The live rock will not cycle your tank for you. Since it is a new system then you will likely experience die off from the LiveRock which in turn should start start the nitrogen cycle..... IMO the more LiveRock you use at the beginning in a fresh system, the more die off you are going to get and probably going to raise your test readings throughout the nitrogen cycle. I would suggest just one piece of LiveRock (if any) and then use dry rock as much as possible. Biggest issue with LiveRock is the weeds/pests that come in on it. Anyways, long answer short..... TEST!

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Also, any time that you post a question, it really helps if you post your tank size, dimensions, and other stats as it typically helps and we do not want to troll through other threads trying to find what it is. The tank is new, but we always like to see pics and progressions. Also adding a location (city) to your account will help too as local members will be able to offer more help for suggestions in your area.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
She grabbed a good 35 lbs off of me of good liverock , clean and no pests. If your tank is new adding liverock well definitely speed up the cycle as all the bacteria need is present and just needs to reproduce and boost it's levels. (Yes there is some die off and that's the ammonia part of it all)
So yes expect a cycle, but just test your params and let us know and we'll help you along.
Welcome btw and glad you found us !

T

tishrisha

Lol thank you so much everyone! As Poseidon said I got about 35 pounds of live rock from him plus about 30 pounds I had just gotten from another person on kijiji awhile back. My tank is 55 gallons.  I will get pictures soon! I just got a 4 in 1 test kit with five strips so I will be sure to test it soon! Thanks everyone!

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
people are gogin to advise against those strips..... although for initla tank cycling they should work out
but you will need to get a decent test kit when the live stuff starts going in.

theyangman

Distinguished Member
Welcome to the forums, get yourself a real test kit, most people use a combination of Hanna Checkers, Salifert, Red Sea, and Elos testing kits for various water parameters, the kits to stay away from are anything that uses stripes, and API. lol.

You're going to want something more accurate than those stripes if you are going to get into this hobby full blast IMO.