Nicks 29g Coralife Biocube

thehvacman

Looks good, nice start. Remember slow and steady for best results. The tank just turned 4 months old, and you are adding alot of coral. I know we all want that nice display as soon as possible :) I think the picture of the sun coral is actually dendrophyllia, if thats the case they will do better in a dark spot in your tank, in a cave. And be sure to feed it meaty food a couple of times a week. In general all lps will grow better on a meat diet ( fish, shrimp, clams, oysters, are all good). Just start slow so your filter can take the extra waste. Good luck

Nick James

Thanks for the comments guys. Hvacman that is a dendro and he is being re-homed this week. When I started this, the plan was lps and softies mainly because of the stock lighting in my biocube. That unexpectedly changed when MitchellB sold me his biocube hood with Steve's LeDs.

The LR I got was from a well aged system and was crawling with life and bacteria which is why parameters, etc have been so stable in my view. To date I think I have been resisting temptation to fill the tank pretty well so far. I don't know that I will get more fish anytime soon. I just have the pair of brachiosaurus Blennies for now and the two peppermint shrimp.

Nick James

I have baby Nassarius Snails!!

Was doing my testing tonight and went late, lights turned out on the tank. I turned the ambient light off downstairs, went up and cleaned out the test tubes etc. I came down and was in the dark watching the peppermint shrimp going crazy as they tend to do when it's dark. I noticed a small white blob moving pretty quickly on the glass. I turned my phone flashlight on and voila... Baby Nassarius snail on the glass. Mirror image of the adult one just a quarter of the size. I looked around and found more on the sand bed!

Time for a rye and ginger... Not because of the snails.. Just because..

Nick James

I noticed white on the tip of new growth on the Setosa yesterday, a few days after I moved it a little lower in the tank. I also noticed a bit of white which is near the base of the side that didn't have much growth yet. I switched to Steve's LEDs about 3-4 weeks ago now and have been slowly raising the power on them. Everything seemed to be doing well so far. I am at 44% power on the LEDs and I am not going to increase until I figure this out.

Here are pics..

You will notice a little white on the lower left new growth. I am not sure if it is smaller or the same as yesterday.

Coloration thought the coral is good other then these spots. Doesn't seem faded.

I keep salinity 1.026 and temp is 78.

Tests Sunday were fine except Mag was low.. 1100. All was 8dkh, calc was 420, phosphates and nitrates were undetectable. Tests were done in the evening.

I tested again just now. Mag was 1160, calc 460, alk 7.5, phosphates and nitrates undetectable. I was going to do a water change before work just because but will have to wait till tomorrow.

I do 10% water change religiously every Sunday.. Nothing else seems out of sorts.

Any ideas from the gurus?

Nick James

Here are my new additions from Fragfest. I went a little overboard perhaps. Bought 11 new frags which I have sitting on my make shift frag rack for now. If I have something mislabelled do not hesitate to correct me. I got a few that are similar and am not certain which is which to be honest. I also got an unknown reef raft frag sooo obviously I don't know what it is..

DV Limeade Nasuta

Cali Blue Tort

Pink Sherbert Milli

Red Dragon

Tyree Pink Lemonade

Red Planet in the foreground, Blueberry Wine background

Montipora Confusa in upper right

One unknown reef raft peice on the right... And I forget what the one on the left was.. They r similar in colouration..

Montipora Undata

Last edited:

Nick James

Did my first 2 part dose last night.. Acro Power as well.

I also have ESV magnesium which I will use to slowly get my mag back up over the next couple weeks.

Nick James

Mag is up to 1300 now.. May keep going and get it to 1400 and maintain it there.

I mounted my frag plugs into the Rock work today. Hopefully they all like their new spots. My dendro, and softies are still waiting to be evicted still.