No Overflow, No Problem.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
So many may recall my horrific deal with a JBJ 3 gallon pico tank that my daughter had won in a contest. I had long discarded the faulty light fixture, but found the tank in the attic. I used that tank to house my Catalina Goby now that I sold the tank he was in. He is in there solo with 2 snails, a few mushrooms, cheato and a gorg. The light I am using is way over board, but it is what I had on hand. Coral Box Moon LED.

Over the last few days I had noticed that lovely film on top of the water. Then I realized that there was no actual overflow to skim off the water surface. Plus the return nozzle does not cause enough surface agitation.

Here is what the stock tank looks like. (not my pic). There are 2 'overflows' in the tank. One at the bottom left and the other top left of the back wall. Neither are 'overflows' though. Neither remove the skim from the top of the water nor cause any aeration while the water travels through them. They do keep the water level in the first back chamber at an equal height as the tank water level.

1384284164166.jpg

3D printer to the rescue. I drew this up in a CAD program and printed. The first one did not turn out as I made everything too small. I redid the drawing with 2mm teeth. The overflow replaces the white grill in the top corner. I blocked the bottom grill with sand but will probably print a plug the next time I am running white filament. To give an idea on size, a quarter just fits inside this overflow.

edb0525876ebfe0146bd64481b8a15c0.jpg

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Kind of reminds me of the beta fish in the cup at pet stores ;)

Make sure the filament doesn't contain phosphate, is there a component/chemical list for the filament?

That all said.... neat!

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Kind of reminds me of the beta fish in the cup at pet stores ;)

Make sure the filament doesn't contain phosphate, is there a component/chemical list for the filament?

That all said.... neat!
Nope. No phosphate lol. If it did I could probably do up a pico gfo reactor lol.

The plastic I use is PETG. It is the same plastic that Vertex uses in many of their skimmers.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

shamous113

Thank you. I will keep that in mind. It has been 20 years since I have used CAD. currently I am using Fusion360 for my designs and
Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

LOL I've been using CAD since R3 in High school Wow how time fles. I'll have to check out fusion360 we just started using Tekla for our structural drawings.