Not sure what this is but growing all over my dendro

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I have never tried to get rid of them. I have read that they can not survive in air, so if the coral can survive, then take it out of the water and scrub the sponge off and let the area dry out. Some are hard to get rid of, so you may have to do it more then once. Also, they are filter feeders and are great for filtration, so if you can keep a sponge, it may be good to do so. This one, however, seems to be in a dangerous spot for your dendro.

Hunniford19

Torx link said:
I have never tried to get rid of them. I have read that they can not survive in air, so if the coral can survive, then take it out of the water and scrub the sponge off and let the area dry out. Some are hard to get rid of, so you may have to do it more then once. Also, they are filter feeders and are great for filtration, so if you can keep a sponge, it may be good to do so. This one, however, seems to be in a dangerous spot for your dendro.

Oh okay I just think they look really ugly they seem to like it near my corals not anywhere else might try scrubbing them off thanks :)

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
i believe just simple exposure to air and they die off,expose the coral and sponge to the air for around a minute or so. sponges die when air gets into there pores

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
pulpfiction1 link said:
i believe just simple exposure to air and they die off,expose the coral and sponge to the air for around a minute or so. sponges die when air gets into there pores

I've also heard this but it's not entirely true, I've pulled several sponges out of water to move them and they've survived, I know some die, but some don't, what draws the line is beyond me however

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
never had that happen,not saying it dont,maybe a couple of exposures?scrape off what you can and try again,cant see exposing a coral any longer than needed

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
It's a Pineapple sponge.  They seem to have a lifespan, then die off.  Mine did and I didn't do anything special with them.  Great filter feeders though.