Now The Waiting Game Begins

Anthony

Hey everyone,
thanks for all the advice, I fillaly got me tank filled,
Now I just have to wait for it to cycle,

Once it's cycled I know I will be back with even more questions.
14772397464871774956624.jpg

heath

Distinguished Member
looks good, I like the way that you have some of the rock standing up, neat effect....just be patient, many tanks have crashed with trying to hurry them alone.. and don't be shy about asking questions, the only stupid question is the one that you didn't ask...:)

Anthony

i'm using Seachem "Stability" for 7 days as directed on the bottle, + I added 1ml of ammonia,

I'm still learning how to use my Hydrometer and red sea test kit,
my first results are:
Temp 80.4f
Specific Gravity is just below 1.025
Ammonia is 0.4
Nitrate is 20
Nitrite is 0.05
and Ph is 8.2

Last edited:

Joshbrookkate

I agree with Heather about your scape. I like the rock placement.
Get yourself a refractometer to replace your hydrometer. Much more acurate. Stable salinity is very important.

Anthony

What is an ideal temp, what should I be aiming for?
Can anyone recommend a good refractometer? I've seen some expensive ones and some really cheap one, I don't know enough about them to understand why the Hugh price difference

Dingets

I've had a cheap ($25) one for 5 years with no issue. Check it every once and a while with calibration fluid and it's good to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Best to add more ammonia. You want to add enough that your ammonia reading is 2 ppm - 4 ppm right away depending on how high you want to cycle to. Make a note of how much ammonia you used to get to the desired level (2 ppm is usually fine). As soon as your ammonia reaches zero, add the same amount again. Do this over and over again until your tank will clear the 2 ppm of ammonia in 12 hours. After it clears the ammonia the first time you can start testing Nitrites. Once it is clearing both ammonia and nitrites in 12 hours, do a couple more additions of ammonia to make sure the bacteria are nice and strong then do a large water change to reduce your nitrates.
Feel free to ask me any questions as they crop up. You may need to shoot me a pm though because sometimes I miss posts.