Nuclear Green Looking Real Sick

Kyle1970

I've seen these Nuclear green paly rise and fall in my tank over time. These I've had in one tank or another for 8 years. I think I even traded Capn Nemo some when they were a much hotter commodity then they are now!
They look pale, mouths out, and sickly now. Nothing touching them and they haven't moved since starting this tank. Far cry from the ones in my signature.
411152354.jpg

The ones that look white.... are pure white.

Other PE and zoas in the area good. Lighting was changed couple weeks ago but only a couple color channels (red and green) by a few percent.
Any thoughts?

New salt? Had skimmer shaft snap few weeks ago so no skimmer for about 10 days but changed phosban and Chempur about a week into the skimmer loss.

Going to take some more level readings but nothing else changed and no other "losses" in the tank.

Kman

Super Active Member
First I would take some of the healthy polyps on the right and make them into frags. Just in case it is bacterial and spreads to the rest of the colony. Then I would test your waters parameters to see if you have anything out of wack. Add or change carbon to remove any chemicals that might be causing it. Check for predators like snails or nudibranch that could be sucking out the zooxanthellae.

Have you added anything new coral wise? Where are the polyps under the lights? Did they start this after you adjusted your lights?

Kyle1970

First I would take some of the healthy polyps on the right and make them into frags. Just in case it is bacterial and spreads to the rest of the colony. Then I would test your waters parameters to see if you have anything out of wack. Add or change carbon to remove any chemicals that might be causing it. Check for predators like snails or nudibranch that could be sucking out the zooxanthellae.

Have you added anything new coral wise? Where are the polyps under the lights? Did they start this after you adjusted your lights?
Fragging going to be tough as they are located on main base rock.
Testing of water to commence asap
Only thing new was the zoas from LFF which I Lugol'd
Gonna take a close look tonight after lights out.

Kman

Super Active Member
I like to take little rocks and prompt it against the polyps. They will grow over on their own. Or worse case cut them off and super glue. If you cut them use gloves just in case they are super toxic. I always make cutting of one's I don't want to totally lose.

If they are right under the lights you might want to put your lights back the way they were and see if they start to get better. That little bit of a bump up in lights should not have been that bad. But just in case.
When I troubleshoot I like to rule out what it is not first. Helps you focus on what it is.

Let me know what your parameters are when you get a chance.

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
Fragging going to be tough as they are located on main base rock.
Testing of water to commence asap
Only thing new was the zoas from LFF which I Lugol'd
Gonna take a close look tonight after lights out.
Id personally start implementing a better dip than lugols for your new frags. Bayers is what i use, kills everything except eggs of course. Iodine isnt going to kill alot of the pests u can bring in.

Kman

Super Active Member
I have used the following method to fix ailing corals.

Set up a quarantine tank fill it up and put a frag rack or container in that is 4" to 6" from the water surface. On one side set up a powerhead and on the other side 12" to 18" away from the power head the coral colony. The increased direct flow will help them slog off any infected or breaking down tissue and will increase available oxygen and gas exchange. It also helps wash away any disease from the skin and helps to stop anything new from settling on the polyps because it is close to the surface of the water and has increased water flow.

Keep in mind some zoes don't like Lugol's solution or large amounts of iodine.

Sewerat

Super Active Member
I third that. This stuff grows like weeds you want some? I'll gladly cut you a few. I have lots spreading. I think it spreads fast then the Kenya tree, but at least it looks nice and colourful

Kman

Super Active Member
More then likely they have Palytoxin and that is considered to be one of the most toxic non-peptide substances known.

Kyle1970

Looking like an alk issue.
78 degrees
Mag bit low at 910
Calcium around 500 depending on the test
But ALK at 6.6 retested and came up 7
Working on mag tonight then alk in the morning slowly 1 point per day.

Sound like a plan

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Without a lie.... I have nuke green paly's in my tank that are 17 years old. I drained the tank dry for 2 years and they came back stronger than ever. I wanted to fill the tank with turpentine but they came to me in bed one night and gave me the once over.... I learned never to question them after that. I for one welcome our new paly overlords.

Kyle1970

Maybe not my favorite in the tank, but possibly they are good as an early warning device when things getting out of whack.
Kind of like my canary in a coal mine.

Kyle1970

New readings.
Temp 78
Salinity 1.026
Mag 1040 (Having issues raising any higher)
Alk 10
Calcium 500

Letting calcium fall slowly to around 460 or so.
Colors... still the same.
Hoping this helps. Maybe all tied together with the new RC salt....

Any ideas why mag won't raise?

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
bad test kit or wrong ratio amount is my guess. if your dumping mag in you should be noticing it rise unless your only adding maintenance amounts as if you were dosing in which case its being consumed. depending on product most allow for up to 3x the dose to raise it and most will have a maximum daily safe amount to add