Odd like string worm killing corals

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Good day fine folks here on the fragtank. I am posting for a customer as I have never seen anything like this. 200 gallon aquarium and my customer is starting to lose some mushroom and I think possibly these little work like creatures are doing the killing. I've never seen these before in their aquarium. I've read about spaghetti worms, but they aren't really a killer and mostly live in the sand bed. He hasn't added anything new to the tank in a few months. Tested everything and other than 20ppm nitrate all is fine. What say you? Has anyone seen this before?

Attachments

• 20230520_134438.jpg
    20230520_134438.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 86
  • 20230520_134402.jpg
    20230520_134402.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 105
  • 20230520_134342.jpg
    20230520_134342.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 93

Sasha T

Website
www.instagram.com
Odd... are those structures rigid or flexible? They look like fungal growth patterns but there are no "nodules" and some of it is in full light. I assume the customer has never seen snot or feathers coming from them?

I had a huge mass of something that looked similar albeit far denser in the back corner of the 60g when I took it down, never bothered anything and I never tried to ID it, just assumed tube worms.

Following along.

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Odd... are those structures rigid or flexible? They look like fungal growth patterns but there are no "nodules" and some of it is in full light. I assume the customer has never seen snot or feathers coming from them?

I had a huge mass of something that looked similar albeit far denser in the back corner of the 60g when I took it down, never bothered anything and I never tried to ID it, just assumed tube worms.

Following along.
They are soft and move around.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Still going with spaghetti sponge or possibly spaghetti worm if they are independently moving. There seems to be several different sponges on that rock as well which is why I thought sponge.