Omega Sea Reef Salt

View attachment 1486 View attachment 1486 View attachment 1486 Switched to Omega Sea Reef Salt a year ago and have never had Ph or calcium swings like had with instant ocean. I never dose calcium or magnesium. Calcium levels are at 450, magnesium 1300 ppm, alkalinity 3.5 meq/l. water changes 45 gallons a week in a 380 gallon system, Only add iodide for shrimp and crabs once week. water changes are cheaper than all the additives and dosers an reactors. Clam and sps growth is amazing. not a drop of hair algae, below detectable nitrate phosphate and ammonia. I will never cheap out with instant ocean and risk my pride and joy.
just wondered other experiences with this salt or other salt mixes.
thanks

Attachments

• DSCN2367.JPG
    DSCN2367.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 83

100gallon

I am just finishing up the last of my fluvall salt...then just got an omega reef pail to start using.

Sent via Samsung Galaxy S4 on Tapatalk

i stopped using instant ocean years ago they had recalls and in past couple months there have been horrible accounts of wild ph swings.
my corals and fish live in the salt I mix so I feel a few extra dollars in salt is worth it. i have not bought a bucket of omega at retail price yet i bought 10 buckets at wholesale when a buddies pet store closed its doors so i cant say too much about cost. i get almost 200 gallons out of a omega bucket.

heath

Distinguished Member
I've not seen it any stores but, then I've never looked for it, maybe a thought now. the reviews seem to be good and when you consider what we spend on our fish I thinks it worth a look.

saltyair

I used io for the first year of my 75 no issues but mostly softies and a few lps.
Once I moved into lps and sps I switched to dd h2o loved it. Than made a switch (respected reefer suggestion) to aquivitro salinity not a fan - found it hard to mix and dirty. Bang on chemistry tho.
I have gone back to dd h20 imo the best salt I have noticed the difference in how my corals react.