on the Verge if losing it all

reeffreak

Super Active Member
So I woke up this morning looking at the tank and found most if not all of my sps have started to melt away to white skeleton. At first I thought alkalinity, so I double, triple tested alk and calcuim and found that I was in normal range of where I keep them 8.5 dkh and 440 for calcuim.

I just recently did a water change and replaced the gfo and after doing some reading I'm thinking gfo is the culprit  behind why this is happening. Yesterday I seem little to no polyp extension on any corals. I've noticed that sps have a real dull colour to them now and my LPS are not as effected by it as the sps but still not looking so hot.

I've added the same amount of gfo as I normally do, only replaced it 2 weeks past my normal swap out.

Does anyone have any clue as to what could have happened, tests are all normal even this morning everything's in check but the tank is falling apart quickly,, thanks in advance for the help .

I also wanted to add that I have shut down the gfo reactor last night at around 10pm as I noticed corals looking rough ( pale, no polyps extension) throughout the day yesterday.

reeffreak

Super Active Member
So I woke up this morning looking at the tank and found most if not all of my sps have started to melt away to white skeleton. At first I thought alkalinity, so I double, triple tested alk and calcuim and found that I was in normal range of where I keep them 8.5 dkh and 440 for calcuim.

I just recently did a water change and replaced the gfo and after doing some reading I'm thinking gfo is the culprit  behind why this is happening. Yesterday I seem little to no polyp extension on any corals. I've noticed that sps have a real dull colour to them now and my LPS are not as effected by it as the sps but still not looking so hot.

I've added the same amount of gfo as I normally do, only replaced it 2 weeks past my normal swap out.

Does anyone have any clue as to what could have happened, tests are all normal even this morning everything's in check but the tank is falling apart quickly,, thanks in advance for the help .

I also wanted to add that I have shut down the gfo reactor last night at around 10pm as I noticed corals looking rough ( pale, no polyps extension) throughout the day yesterday.

Thmh

Website Affiliate
Maybe something gotten into your water via airborne or something got cross contaminated.  Try running extra carbon and do another small water change.

-Tony

Thmh

Website Affiliate
Maybe something gotten into your water via airborne or something got cross contaminated.  Try running extra carbon and do another small water change.

-Tony

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Almost guarantee something got into your containers that you do your water change in.  My housekeeper once used a salt pail to mix some sort of floor cleaner.  Even though she rinsed it out, it wiped out an entire 75 gallon tank of fish and coral over about 3 days when I used it for a water change. (now I keep all the buckets hidden away on cleaning day).

Now that I think of it, one night I had my hand in the tank after being in the hot tub...took about 3 weeks for the corals to start behaving properly again.

I am super aggressive with GFO, and swap it out every month (have used several different varieties too) and have never had it wipe out any coral. 

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Almost guarantee something got into your containers that you do your water change in.  My housekeeper once used a salt pail to mix some sort of floor cleaner.  Even though she rinsed it out, it wiped out an entire 75 gallon tank of fish and coral over about 3 days when I used it for a water change. (now I keep all the buckets hidden away on cleaning day).

Now that I think of it, one night I had my hand in the tank after being in the hot tub...took about 3 weeks for the corals to start behaving properly again.

I am super aggressive with GFO, and swap it out every month (have used several different varieties too) and have never had it wipe out any coral. 

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
If its the GFO, maybe the sudden change is phosphates shocked your system? Maybe the carbonmay be causing things to be too clean?

Maybe. Shut down the reactor and add some amino acids?

Ive seen similar symptoms when things get too clean

Good luck and kee us posted

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
If its the GFO, maybe the sudden change is phosphates shocked your system? Maybe the carbonmay be causing things to be too clean?

Maybe. Shut down the reactor and add some amino acids?

Ive seen similar symptoms when things get too clean

Good luck and kee us posted

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
teebone110 link said:

That's the thing, if it's just GFO there should never be a sudden drop in phosphate, it's gradual.  The only one I ever saw drop things overnight (in a bad way) was that seachem phosguard, the aluminum based one that's little white balls.  That stuff should be outlawed.  GFO never acts overnight in my experience.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
teebone110 link said:

That's the thing, if it's just GFO there should never be a sudden drop in phosphate, it's gradual.  The only one I ever saw drop things overnight (in a bad way) was that seachem phosguard, the aluminum based one that's little white balls.  That stuff should be outlawed.  GFO never acts overnight in my experience.

Thmh

Website Affiliate
Unless he has not been keeping up with the feeding thus his system is already low nutrients then I would blame it on the gfo but he has been using gfo for sometime now and he changed the same amount of gfo then I would definitely cross gfo off the list.

-Tony

Thmh

Website Affiliate
Unless he has not been keeping up with the feeding thus his system is already low nutrients then I would blame it on the gfo but he has been using gfo for sometime now and he changed the same amount of gfo then I would definitely cross gfo off the list.

-Tony

reeffreak

Super Active Member
Thanks for the responses guys. So I know  it's not pests, I've been free off afew for a couple months now. the fact these corals showed signs of stress and then died so quickly, within 36 hours it couldn't be pests.

The reason I think it's the gfo is the day off the water change and gfo swap corals were looking great same as previously amazing extension on polyps looking better than ever. Them the night of the swap and WC I noticed things looked a little pissed off, then the following day which was yesterday corals started to get pale in colour and some started peeling/melting away.  Today some corals were totally gone white snow, just that quick. I instantly thought alkalinity, so I started testing and that wasn't the case. I just looked at what changes were made to the tank and the only thing that I could come up with is the gfo causing it. After reading up, pale colours and poor polyp extension can happen if you're to aggressive with gfo that and the water change in thinking may have been to much of a change and shocked everything.

Could possibly be something got into the water chance pails, but highly unlikely. I keep lids on everything and no cleaning lady to mess around with them, besides the wife, but she knows not to mess with the buckets.

Stray voltage isn't the case, I most likely would have seen signs in my fish because of this before I started seeing corals effected.

I'm not even sure what to do right now to get a grasp on what's happening. Gfo reactors been shut off since 10 last night. In not sure another water change would help or make things worse.

reeffreak

Super Active Member
Thanks for the responses guys. So I know  it's not pests, I've been free off afew for a couple months now. the fact these corals showed signs of stress and then died so quickly, within 36 hours it couldn't be pests.

The reason I think it's the gfo is the day off the water change and gfo swap corals were looking great same as previously amazing extension on polyps looking better than ever. Them the night of the swap and WC I noticed things looked a little pissed off, then the following day which was yesterday corals started to get pale in colour and some started peeling/melting away.  Today some corals were totally gone white snow, just that quick. I instantly thought alkalinity, so I started testing and that wasn't the case. I just looked at what changes were made to the tank and the only thing that I could come up with is the gfo causing it. After reading up, pale colours and poor polyp extension can happen if you're to aggressive with gfo that and the water change in thinking may have been to much of a change and shocked everything.

Could possibly be something got into the water chance pails, but highly unlikely. I keep lids on everything and no cleaning lady to mess around with them, besides the wife, but she knows not to mess with the buckets.

Stray voltage isn't the case, I most likely would have seen signs in my fish because of this before I started seeing corals effected.

I'm not even sure what to do right now to get a grasp on what's happening. Gfo reactors been shut off since 10 last night. In not sure another water change would help or make things worse.