Open Brain, Any Ideas, Help

heath

Distinguished Member
I have an open brain, has been doing really well until lately.
It is separating from its skeleton, it seems to be better after I turn the lights on.
I upgraded from a 35 gal to a 46 gal, I always had it on the floor of the tank and when I moved it to the bigger tank I put it on the floor and it wasn't happy so I moved higher (about 1/2 way up) thinking it wasn't getting enough light.
I noticed this morning that there is about 1/3 of the skeleton showing , is there anything that I can do or is it on its way out.
my lights are a T5 quad.

heath

Distinguished Member
thanks everyone, I do have a pair of clowns and have added another pair, (not by choice) when it puffed up it was touching a rock. It was puffy last night. I just moved it back to the floor and its not attached to its skeleton any more, so my guess is that its on it way out. Stupid question, can they grow another skeleton or something?

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
stress can cause polyp bailout, i believe if it finds a place where it's happy it can grow a new skeleton but without a skeleton it will probably keep drifting around which will cause more stress. if you can place it in a shallow dish to keep it stable it might.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
stress can cause polyp bailout, i believe if it finds a place where it's happy it can grow a new skeleton but without a skeleton it will probably keep drifting around which will cause more stress. if you can place it in a shallow dish to keep it stable it might.

If conditions are bad the only way a sessile coral can escape is to detach and hope the current takes it away from the negative environment. Usually it is a chemical issue or war with an incompatible neighbor.

IME they are quite sensetive to NO3 but if nitrates are OK then maybe run some carbon to remove a potential chemical irritant from the water.

Also get a plastic basket and clamp it to the side of the tank out of direct light and flow so it doesn't just Bob around until it goes into an overflow or pump.

heath

Distinguished Member
thanks everyone, I put it in a dish and between 2 large rocks, it is out of direct light and is sheltered from the flow, for once I'm glad that there are feather dusters/tube worms in the tank. showed me a place were the flow is quieter.
fingers crossed. also, it was puffed up before I move just now. fingers crossed...

heath

Distinguished Member
update, the brain is still hanging in there this morning. Its looking like its puffing up.
also, found a surprise, its a small star fish, its about the size of a toonie including it legs/arms and is grey and white. it looks like the arms are stripped. Now is this a good or bad thing ?