OPP pay increase of 8.55%

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
http://www.torontosun.com/2014/01/26/municipalities-held-hostage-by-opp-pay-raise

I don't usually read the sun (other then the short write up beside the Sunshine girl), but this story had me shaking my head this morning.

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
"And larger municipalities that have their own police services, like Toronto, are bracing for “replicating” arbitration as their officers seek parity with the OPP.  All communities expect difficult negotiations with firefighters and EMS who are eyeing the 8.55% increase.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
At least I can see where my tax dollar is going when they pay police.  How about when my yearly federal tax bill rolls in, and the money just disappears?  Or gets spent on agencies that want to spy on me while I'm in the bath tub with my rubber ducky.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/inside-canada-s-top-secret-billion-dollar-spy-palace-1.1930322

Point is...don't get mad at "news" articles, they only print tiny pieces of "news" that they know get people all riled up.  Have a bagel instead. 

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
BIGSHOW link said:
I had a bagel, just like the OPP did this morning, except mine wasn't free and I wasn't costing the tax payers $40 an hour to eat it.

Ewww. But very true.

reeffreak

Super Active Member
Big_Als_London link said:
In London, Police don't get free things anymore.  Most places stopped giving them free drinks.

Police don't get free stuff ?? I see it everyday. It's more like, they're not supposed to take free stuff. It's not very ethical that a police officer can walk into a coffee shop, jump to the front of the line, and get free service.

reeffreak

Super Active Member
reeffreak link said:
[quote author=Big_Als_London link=topic=7581.msg78427#msg78427 date=1390834817]
In London, Police don't get free things anymore.  Most places stopped giving them free drinks.

Police don't get free stuff ?? I see it everyday. It's more like, they're  not supposed to take free stuff. It's not very ethical that a police officer can walk into a coffee shop, jump to the front of the line, and get free service.
[/quote]

Damn I did it again..

reeffreak

Super Active Member
this raise CAN'T happen, we have pensioners barely surviving off their pensions and we wanna pay police more ? Man we live in a fucked up society.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Now not to start a huge argument, and I don't mean this in an elitist way...but relying on the government to pay your retirement is kind of foolish.  The government is broke and then some.  It will take just a few people in parliament one day to stand up and say "what we can't afford, is all these old people, I say they're on their own" to kill any pension or supplement. 

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Maybe if London Police did more to serve the public or the stores giving them free stuff, instead of just expecting hand outs.
It goes both ways though, I have seen some that expect the service, but others refuse and pay for there product and are on there way.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
They are starting to say someone my age wont receive a penny of CPP. If they are cutting out CPP, cut out welfare too. I do agree you shouldn't expect the government to support you once you are retired, but if im not going to see any of it when im old and out of the workforce then I damn don't want to be paying into it.

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
unibob link said:
They are starting to say someone my age wont receive a penny of CPP. If they are cutting out CPP, cut out welfare too. I do agree you shouldn't expect the government to support you once you are retired, but if im not going to see any of it when im old and out of the workforce then I damn don't want to be paying into it.
im sure there wont be any old age moneys in the next 10 yrs

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
They have said since the 90's that CPP is in trouble.  Once the baby boomers hit it full force, it's done for unless you can replace the retiring workforce with tax-paying citizens.  Only way to accomplish that is...immigration.  Macro economics 101. 

reeffreak

Super Active Member
unibob link said:
They are starting to say someone my age wont receive a penny of CPP. If they are cutting out CPP, cut out welfare too. I do agree you shouldn't expect the government to support you once you are retired, but if im not going to see any of it when im old and out of the workforce then damn don't want to be paying into it.

These people expected it because that's way the era went. You work you get a pension. Now it's slowing dieing away. But if I worked for my pension guess what ? I want it, I could care less what you think about my pension I worked for. Times are changing, I get that. These people aren't expecting the government to pay the retirement, they earned that shit.