Ordering Online??

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gietz

i seen that but what should i use to start crystal or just regular stuff ??

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
i understand the reef crystals have more minerals and trace elements
c/p:
Description:  Reef Crystals is vitally enriched with extra measures of calcium, selected trace elements and vitamins. The inclusion of these important substances at concentrations greater than that found in natural sea water assures their extended availability in the reef aquarium, thus optimizing the long-term health and growth of corals, anemones, and other invertebrates.

i just use the cheap stuff or whats on sale personally

iantower

I use IO salt and have no problems with my reef buddy. Just whatever one you decide on use it from the begging and stay consistent with it, keep track of your testing parameters (excel is great for this) and your good to go. I have to believe, though I have no proof, that you wouldnt see a difference in either salt.

Blob-79

Super Active Member
ya..starting out, you might as well save some coin and get the cheeper salt. Only reason I changed to reef salt is because I was getting tired of dosing so much. As you get your reef going, if your seeing you cal,mag running low, change salts then.

S

shayneh

I sort of agree with blob if your just planning on keeping soft corals but if you plan on getting LPS or SPS you might as well set yourself up a relaible source of good salt. I use IO reef crystals also for the exact same reason as blob. You can spend $10-20 extra on a better salt or $60-100 in additives over the course of a cheaper grade bucket of salt.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
shayneh link said:
I sort of agree with blob if your just planning on keeping soft corals but if you plan on getting LPS or SPS you might as well set yourself up a relaible source of good salt. I use IO reef crystals also for the exact same reason as blob. You can spend $10-20 extra on a better salt or $60-100 in additives over the course of a cheaper grade bucket of salt.

I don't use Reef Crystals, but am interested in trying it.

I just wanted to clarify when using Reef Crystals if the additional calcium found in the mix would be used up by your SPS / LPS causing you to still maintain CA levels by dosing?

I suppose it can be maintained through regular water changes i.e. 10% a month depending on the demand from the reef inhabitants?

S

shayneh

I maintain levels with with Kalk and will be using 2 part (ca and alk) when the bigger tank is running but the reef crystals has better initial levels of calcium and magnesium which saves adding 5 tablespoons of calcium and 1/2 cup of magnesium to a 5g bucket of water for water changes just to get the levels close to sea water params. 

G

Gietz

ok thx everyone im just going to get the regular salt (200lbs of it :) ) then ill get the reef cyrtals when i start adding coral

and thx agian to everyone how helped me you have all been lifesavers!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers

oh and ill post up again when i start work on my tank

G

Gietz

OK i don't know if i should post this up here or not but Protein skimmers!!!!!!!!!!!  I'm lost with it i was looking at the reef octopus ones but they talk about recirculating and needle wheel ? which one is better?? and what do you all think about the reef octopus skimmer? also any other ones that are really good out there for newbies lol  i plan on 300 is my budget as i don't need a big one because i got a 55 tank

thx

S

shayneh

That won't work if your running a sump and any sort of livestock....Alway get something rated for about twice the size of what you actually have for 2 reasons.

1) It will easily keep your tank clean and depending on the brand there is a difference between what they say it can handle and what it can actually handle.
2) If you stay in the hobby odds are you'll be getting a larger tank......you get to pat yourself on the back because you saved having to get yourself another piece of equipment for the larger tank unless number 1 is true.

M

marks69

i'm running the nac 7 and love it.  you might as well go up to that size.  i payed $230 to my door for it, and it will more than do your tank.

S

shayneh

Did you order from nuocean? I'm running the BM NAC6 and going to switch it to pinwheel this weekend. Haven't been super impressed with the skimmate on the meshwheel but it's hard to compare because I had a downdraft skimmer before and it was amazing.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
shayneh link said:
Did you order from nuocean? I'm running the BM NAC6 and going to switch it to pinwheel this weekend. Haven't been super impressed with the skimmate on the meshwheel but it's hard to compare because I had a downdraft skimmer before and it was amazing.

what r u getting?

M

marks69

i got it from tampa bay aquatics.  it skims a little wet but pulls a fair bit every day.  i find it works better in less water.  i used to have it in 9-10" and now it's about 6.5 and seems to pull more.  i did notice that my meshwheel blew up one day for no reason.  the plastic just came apart. 

S

shayneh

teebone110 link said:
[quote author=shayneh link=topic=683.msg4510#msg4510 date=1301026545]

what r u getting?
[/quote]

Hey teebone not getting anything just switching my BM NAC6A from a meshwheel to a pinwheel to see if skimmer production will improve. I was spoiled before I got this skimmer running a ETSS reef devil. I keep flip flopping if I want to go back to a downdraft skimmer or not. It's tough because they are louder and require larger pumps (more hydro) but also run circles around meshwheel/pinwheel skimmers.. IMO!

G

Gietz

wow guys you all just confused me lol and the research is confusing me even more.  so Nac are a good make ?  and reef devils are ? also what else should i be looking for in  a skimmer

thx

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
shayneh link said:
[quote author=teebone110 link=topic=683.msg4511#msg4511 date=1301026766]
[quote author=shayneh link=topic=683.msg4510#msg4510 date=1301026545]

what r u getting?
[/quote]

Hey teebone not getting anything just switching my BM NAC6A from a meshwheel to a pinwheel to see if skimmer production will improve. I was spoiled before I got this skimmer running a ETSS reef devil. I keep flip flopping if I want to go back to a downdraft skimmer or not. It's tough because they are louder and require larger pumps (more hydro) but also run circles around meshwheel/pinwheel skimmers.. IMO!
[/quote]

Too bad your BM NAC6A isn't cutting it for you. I thought they were decent skimmers, but if you are used to the ETSS performance, it's hard to accept. Good luck and keep us posted.
Now go get that 75 plumbed and setup or I will have to take those corals from you!

Status
Not open for further replies.