7df04fb7cc8fbf3a4424f7dc43803a51.jpg

88ded078811cf380a853d6b84c4b8f4d.jpg

That's all you get for now. Back to install

Sewerat

Super Active Member
cd6343811574534c3e06f75f253f13dc.jpg

760ee2197eaf760cdc61e9110a67392a.jpg

43e7127dfb6316971cc5b355a38f1183.jpg

And after only a 1/2hr in the water I see scum floating and making its way up already. Needs fine tuning and adjustments still but I'll take care of that once I set up the new sump next week.

Quartapound

Hmmm. Old one looks like mine lol. Vertex IN100. Were you feeding it with a mag9 with locline on the intake?

Mine doesn't seem to get things into the cup unless I put it quite deep and choke it quite a bit at the output.... Maybe too big for the tank?

(Not a clog/lack of cleaning)

...I can't afford a lifereef yet lol.... Looks pretty slick though.

Any other suggestions? Does a standard mag pump work for a skimmer?

I don't want to buy a new skimmer just to find out it works the same as my last one...

Debating a used BM Curve 5... Or not doing anything at all... I dunnnooo! ...sigh

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sewerat

Super Active Member
Mine was an in150. Pump quit. Had to do something to keep a skimmer running. If and when I order a mazzi Venturi for my life reef I may experiment with the vertex and a mag pump again. One problem is pipe size in and out of a vertex is custom sized not of typical size so basically nothing fits. I managed to jam a 1" mpt fitting into the hole and then able to fit back down to 3/4" fpt for the top
Of the pump. Now a mag does not have a needle wheel impeller for it so I needed to create a Venturi for it so that's why you see the locline. You may be able to create something similar in yours and then use a mag9 or bigger

Skim

The funny thing is the LifeReef is Older then the Vertex so maybe it should have read " Out with Old and in with the Older " Why am I getting this feeling that there is a change coming again in the Skimmer design and the Cone maybe on its way out and the.

Sewerat

Super Active Member
True true.

Was just looking at tank, it's been almost a week running the life reef. I'm not sure if it was the recent water change, approx 30% or the insertion of the new skimmer, but the water is definitely clearer In My DT then I can ever remember. Let's hope for the skimmer.

It has been sucking out what was normal for the vertex, a bit of extra water as I dial it in but easy to drain off water, but my god was it stinky and green.

Skim

I was wondering when or if you would notice that. I was going to ask but then I thought I would just wait. This where the difference between the needle wheel skimmer and a Venturi, Beckett, Aqua C skimmer comes into play. A needle wheel just like they advertise, create tones of tinny bubbles that are in uniform in size and do a great job on removing organics but the other skimmers mentioned will create multi size bubbles, from tinny to large or should say lager and these bubbles do a great job at removing particulate's tinny, tinny floaties in the water, so they should be called water strippers as I believe that's where the technology came from, water purification plants. The Beckett and Aqau C spray system are probably the best at it, and this is where the whole thing of over skimming came from because if you too over sized with Beckett skimmer you where scratching your head on why your corals did not look to good, because it was literally stripping the water. You see you take out some of the good stuff too, I don't know if anyone on hear remembers a Skimmer called the AreoFoamer. It was a Beckett style and was tested by a gentleman named Bob Goemens, a famous Reef Guru at the time, I don't think I have the last name correct but he found it to be the only skimmer that he ever tested that lowered his Phosphate levels in his tank and his tank became almost crystal clear. Pit Fall was they need a BIG pump which meant much higher consumption of Electricty and you will have to feed Corals no question and clean the neck like daily, because if you did not skimmer would just not work properly.
Sewerat just a little tip when or if you feed your Corals shut the Skimmer off because it will definitely suck the food out and leave it off for like 1 to 3 hours when you do.
Anyhow enough with the blast from the past, enjoy the new skimmer and the learning curve and let us know of any other little things you notice like polyps closing more or opening more and also keep a eye on any 100% filter feeders and Clams if you have.

Skim

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Hmmm. Old one looks like mine lol. Vertex IN100. I'm not sure if my pump on it is quite doing what it's supposed to anymore. Were you feeding it with a mag9 with locline on the intake?

Mine (stock vertex pump I think) doesn't seem to have enough oomph to get things into the cup unless I put it quite deep and choke it quite a bit at the output.

(Not a clog/lack of cleaning)

...I can't afford a lifereef yet lol.... Looks pretty slick though.

Any suggestions other then buying a new pump? Does a standard mag pump work for a skimmer?

I don't want to buy a new pump just to find out it works the same as my last one...

Debating a used BM Curve 5... Or a new pump for the vertex.... Or not doing anything at all... I dunnnooo! ...sigh

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
I would give up on the vertex and go bubble magus. The vertex sewerat has came from me. I bought a curve 9, which is why i sold him my vertex. The curve is a great skimmer imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sewerat

Super Active Member
So a little update

This skimmer rocks

Pulling out very smelly crap some water, super easy to drain excess off.
Couple of notables you can run ANY pump you want of 900gph or more on this, no need for any special pumps. And it won't overflow with water the way it's built. Nice for you under cabinet guys. So if you're going to spend on a high end skimmer may as well get a good one that will outlast your inhabitants

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
So a little update

This skimmer rocks

Pulling out very smelly crap some water, super easy to drain excess off.
Couple of notables you can run ANY pump you want of 900gph or more on this, no need for any special pumps. And it won't overflow with water the way it's built. Nice for you under cabinet guys. So if you're going to spend on a high end skimmer may as well get a good one that will outlast your inhabitants

Good to hear Craig. For anyone interested, what is the general turn around time on these skimmers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sewerat

Super Active Member
His skimmer was ordered and delivered to me within a month. I guess he tries to stock skimmers most times. His sumps are longer wait times.

Sewerat

Super Active Member
So just cleaned the cup for the first time since I got this thing yesterday, my god it was ripe and thick. I have noticed how ripe the drain water has been from this but I have never had a thick scum come from any skimmer to date. For anyone looking for a new skimmer I highly recommend the life reef line as its versatile and it is a workhorse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nighthawk26

I have the 30". The thing is AMAZING. You will not find a bad review anywhere about one. Or Jeffs service. The only painful part at the moment is the currency exchange to get one! :(

No need for a fancy pump, parts that will not be available in a few years. Skimmers are basic, and the only reason "better" ones come out are so manufacturers can make and sell more. Anyone saying otherwise as not used one of these. You wanna get a little more out of it, put a bigger pump on it. That's about it!

Not to mention no need to constantly be fiddling with it.

I'm new to this hobby, and it was overwhelming to me first getting started and skimmers were super intimidating to decide on. So much BS out there. If you aren't sure about it. Call Jeff. He will talk to you for a minute or 300 about it. Haha

reef keeper

Super Active Member
I run 800gph through mine with an external pump. Mine the the 36" lifereef. They are the best skimmers, hands down. The thing keeps my tank tip top, and the baby crap it pulls out - well, my wife knows when I am cleaning it from a different room.

I love it, and would never buy a different type.

Long live lifereef!

Hi motto should read

"If you aren't throwing up in your mouth when you clean it.... It's not a lifereef"

Just cleaned it. STINKY

When you set the water level - I have the bubble right above the lifereef label. Haven't adjusted it in months.

Last edited: