Over Talked About

jondevans93

Hey guys so the over talked about subject of bare bottom and sand beds... im getting tired of the sand currently sitting at 3 to 4 inches so i have to siphon out small sections like a couple inches across to the glass and let the sand settle out again hoping this way if it gets to a shallow bed i can stop the process if i like it.. well im very much so toying with the idea of barebottom with encrusting corals or xenia covering it for me corals and fish are what i like to see.... anyone gone from sand to bare and loved it or hated it.... this process i plan to take about 1 and a half to 2 months and adding marine pure balls to sump as i go

Thoughts or should i stop now lol

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

jondevans93

Also to add how often could you actually siphon your tank without damaging the system such as changing water paramaters by adding new water frequently

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
im unsure about this one. as long as you dont disturb the sand as you siphon it out it shouldn't damage the system too badly.
I personally dont like bio balls just for the build up of detritus reason.
but as long as you keep them tumbling and clean they do work.

Good luck! keep this thread updated as you go!

jondevans93

I stopped at a very thin sand bed in thr front no more than a quarter inch deep then a couple inches in the back behind the rock work i prefer this look

20170208_160109.jpg