Overflow Box Plumbing

dan

i currently have a small overflow box for my 40g. I recently bought a mag model 5 (500gph only 400 at 3ft)
My drain line (1 and a half inch or two) has only an open 90 and its burping and gurgling into the sump something fierce. I put a peice of air line down the drain and that has stopped the burping. The gurgling is horrendous and I was wondering since I have little to no room for a normal herbie if I can pull the 90 and put a T fitting instead. Top of the T I was thinking of a cap with an air hole and line with a valve for control. the bottom would be the drain. I've looked around on YouTube and couldn't find any examples. Can this be done? Also only one hole is drilled and I'm not looking to drill a second as space is at a premium.
Thx for any help.
40g cube
20g sump

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
You want one of these. It can be done. You probably want a gate valve on the down spout to control the down flow. But you have no back up incase a snail or something restricts flow. You would then get a flood.

f37ba9744807b265678d60a993ee3bec.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

dan

Awesome Ty for the pic. I'll tinker with it and post a pic when I'm done. I'm also thinking of putting a valve after my return pump to dial it down some if need be.

Pipes

Perhaps instead of restricting your return pump with a valve, maybe consider a T with a valve to redirect the excess flow. More or less turning the return line into a manifold.

So for example. Flow pattern would be: Return pump, T with valve on side, Tank.

You could throttle the valve and put the excess water back into your sump, reactor or filter canister of some sort. Remaining water would flow directly to the tank.

dan

So I could adjust the valve on the t and push the excess flow to a gfo reactor and have it return to the sump? I really like that and I think it's a great use of the power being used.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
So I could adjust the valve on the t and push the excess flow to a gfo reactor and have it return to the sump? I really like that and I think it's a great use of the power being used.

Here I have a mag12 feeding into a a T that goes to a manifold in the second pic. There is a ball valve in the first pic after the union. That controls the flow to the manifold that fed my reactors and also recirculated into my sump. This is off my last 120 gallon long tank. Build is in my signature.

20130707_154108_zpsbb1f69ba.jpg

20130707_144327_zps18fe270d.jpg