Overflow plumbing help

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxmurrxx

Been trying different combo's with the pipes for days trying to make my drain line quiet with no success.
Anyone in Windsor that knows this stuff willing to take a look?

Or any suggestions here.
The setup:
75g corner overflow
mag 9.5 return 3/4" pvc feeds two reactors as well
Return line 1" pvc
Came with Durso standpipe and return

Problem:
I have tried a long drain line and a short simple one with 90 deg. fittings, both produce the same results in the end. I know the durso won't be the quietest thing but somethings up here.
Only thing that seems to work is cutting back my return pump to barely anything, which is not a good solution.

(These problems don't occur all at once usually, just problems I came across wile trying to make something work)
-Pipes shake due to pressure
-Lots of bubbles / water crashing
-I tried the vent "T" with stand pipe and cap but water backs up and shoots out, and it did not seem to solve the bubble issue.

Here is a short vid, the bubbles in this one are not as bad as some of the layouts I tried but still.
I know it's not laid out right with my return pump in the vid, this is just an alternate layout trying to rid the noise.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Good lord thats loud. maybe try dialing back your return pump. Ill take a vid of my setup and post it for you. give me a min or two.

davesolo29

Super Active Member
unfortunately the durso in the cornerflows suck ass.
i couldnt find a way to make mine quieter so i gave up,  cut them out, and drilled for bean animal.

the only solution i have for you is to make both standpipes into drains and feed your return back over the top of the tank.
if you cut them you can make one shorter for full siphon and one longer for backup.  herbie method.  thats how i was gonna do it if i hadnt torn my tank apart to move giving me the chance to drill.

parksy

Super Active Member
I did what Dave said and made mine into a Herbie setup. I have 2 overflows at the back of my tank each with one 1inch and one 3/4 inch line the two 1inch lines are my drains with one cut shorter to get the full siphon and the other is for an emergency drain (not used unless the first one is plugged). The main drain has a gate valve right under the other side of the bulk head to throttle the flow to make it silent. The other two are my returns but you can run them up the back of the tank if needed as Dave said.

Hope this helps  :)

xxmurrxx

davesolo29 link said:
the only solution i have for you is to make both standpipes into drains and feed your return back over the top of the tank.
if you cut them you can make one shorter for full siphon and one longer for backup.  herbie method.  thats how i was gonna do it if i hadnt torn my tank apart to move giving me the chance to drill.

I was thinking about that, if I did try that would all I have to do is cut the existing return pipe shorter and leave the durso as my emergency overflow? add a gate valve onto the shorter overflow?

davesolo29

Super Active Member
looking at your setup.. looks like you have both 1" and 3/4" pvc.
i would use the 1" as your shorter drain(full siphon) with a gate valve or ball valve on to adjust so you get no air allowing the full siphon.
leave the 3/4" one just above where you want your waterline and use it as your emergency.

spyd

Super Active Member
Is there an air intake at the top of your Durso stand pipe? That is way too much water movement coming from the drain. It seems as though air is getting trapped in it. I mean, mine all ways sounded like a waterfall but it never gurgled water like that.

Herbie is the best method if you want a DEAD SILENT operation. Like Dave mentioned, use the 1" as the shorter, full siphon drain and the other as the emergency stand pipe. Cut it off just above your desired water height in your tank. Add a gate valve to the 1" line so that you can dial in the exact flow going through the pipe. Your return line then would go over the top of the tank, at the back.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
150g plumbing

heres mine.. IMO its very simple and very quiet, what little noise there is, is muffled when the doors are closed...
the girlfriend doesnt even complain about the noise :D

xxmurrxx

Thanks for the vid and suggestions peeps.
Think I'm going to go with the herbie style, HOB return might be a little ghetto but once I build a canopy no one will see it.

Couple questions on that though,
Do I have to be worried about a 3/4" size for an emergency drain?
Also how low do I cut the 1" does it matter? or should i keep it higher up?

xxmurrxx

that is pretty quiet, when you say drilled a hole in a 90 deg with a foot of tube, is that on your durso? or in your sump?
The tube on my durso is only a few inches long.

Status
Not open for further replies.