Overflow Question.

100gallon

What are the benefits to having a bean animal overflow compared to a bottom drain corner overflow? Is it necessary to have a Durso in the bottom drain?

dale

imo you could use your bottom holes for a bean animal but you would need 3 holes total plus the return,, could go over the top though,,

bean animal is more reliable,,flexible (waterflow fluctuation) and quiet...

reefgeek

If you have one corner overflow you are somewhat limited to your options. If you have two overflows it is possible to setup a true bean animal but it comes with some effort. I'm working on this for my 300g display right now. You would need to find a way to connect the two overflows near the bottom of the overflows such that one can drain into the other. By doing this the full siphon line is able to pull from each overflow. You are then left with a trickle line, emergency and return in all 4 of the original corner overflow holes. Check out my build thread for more details, its not up and running yet but would work if done correctly.

KBennett

I have 2 overflows set up like the beananimal system. You still need a durso for the trickle drain, otherwise it would be too loud. I bring the returns up over the back of the tank, hidden by my overflows. Since the durso return is designed to handle full flow, there us no need for an emergency drain.

KBennett

Unfortunately, if you only have one hole in the bottom you are pretty limited. In order to do a full siphon, you need at least the siphon and the trickle in the overflow.
Your best option is a durso. It wont be nearly as quiet as a bean or herbie.

100gallon

Ok. Being quiet is not really a big deal...pretty noisy here with the 4 boys...lol. any ideas on what and where to get one?

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
personally i don't feel comfortable with only a single drain, 1 clog and it's all over the floor. Depending on how large overflow is maybe you can drill a 2nd hole

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
post a pic or 2 showing the overflow from as many sides as you can,1.5" on the floor but maybe a 1" off centre in the back?

J_T

Website Affiliate
Ok. Being quiet is not really a big deal...pretty noisy here with the 4 boys...lol. any ideas on what and where to get one?

Setup properly, durso's are very quiet.

They sort of do have a built in emergency system. If the water exceeds the "normal operation" it will flush. Sounds loud, and obnoxious! It creates a full siphon. Which breaks as soon as the water settles down.

Snails can still be a problem. A screen attachment (like stores use) will keep the large ones out. If you need more flow, a few of the "bars" can be cut out.

My durso has a T on the end where the water goes in. Each with a cover. This gives two openings. If one blocks, it still works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100gallon

uploadfromtaptalk1405809620575.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1405809620575.jpg

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
You definitely don't have enough room there to drill another hole.

Like JT said. A properly set up durso will work just fine and be quite silent as well.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Oh yuck for sure. Durso is your best option. Unless you wanted to go all out and add a second corner overflow and drill the bottom, that is if the glass was not tempered after it was drilled.

100gallon

Lol. I cannot spend any more right now! I am gonna throw a set of glass baffles in my 20 long sump. Also I'm going to have a 5 gallon drilled to flow into sump. 5 Will have aragonite and chaeto. Also thinking of adding in socks for main drain into sump....