painting back glass of tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunnykita

Super Active Member
I think I'll paint the back glass on the tank black as suggested,  any prep needed other than cleaning the glass well? and what type of paint has been used?

Would anyone do a different colour than black? I'm not so sure about the pretty blues you see in the stores.

spyd

Super Active Member
If you wanted to, you can all ways go see Flavio at Advanced Reef Aquatics and purchase some of the Avery Black Vinyl. It is super easy to install and can easily be removed down the road.

C

crazybizzle

I used krylon ocean blue on my tank its good for all material glass plastic steel etc..looks good but shows  more of ur tank if its dirty..just clean glass with alcohol wipes then spray it on couple coats will do the trick

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
painting back glass of tank

I used a black oil based paint. Just google painting glass.)

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
pretty much any spray paint will work, no?  Its been a while since I had to do one.

Make sure you newspaper up the viewable panes that might get oversprayed.

P

phi delt reefer

her tank is already setup so the aerosoles of spray paint might not be recommended.

as suggested, clean the glass really well with rubbing alcohol and then roll on some black paint. Pretty sure any type of black paint will work.
I would recommend using a low VOC paint and turn the skimmer off until the paint dries.
Open a window and get a fan to speed up the drying process.

alternatively tinting is an option but takes some skill and soapy water near an operating tank probably is not a good idea.

sunnykita

Super Active Member
thanks for all the suggestions everyone
I like the idea of the roll on and the low voc paint, as the tank is already set up I'd have difficulty with the sprays I think. It could wait until I move it, but I'd like to get on it. Too bad I hadn't had this idea before I set it up LOL. I've always seemed to have air bubbles in any vinyl I've tried to apply to anything. Hmmm, tinting? something I've never heard of
thanks again everyone, it's much appreciated.
Sherry

phi delt reefer link said:
her tank is already setup so the aerosoles of spray paint might not be recommended.

as suggested, clean the glass really well with rubbing alcohol and then roll on some black paint. Pretty sure any type of black paint will work.
I would recommend using a low VOC paint and turn the skimmer off until the paint dries.
Open a window and get a fan to speed up the drying process.

alternatively tinting is an option but takes some skill and soapy water near an operating tank probably is not a good idea.
spyd link said:
If you wanted to, you can all ways go see Flavio at Advanced Reef Aquatics and purchase some of the Avery Black Vinyl. It is super easy to install and can easily be removed down the road.
spyd link said:

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
just paint it :) no bubbles... and it just scraps off with a razor if you want to clean it up.

davesolo29

Super Active Member
I used the stone effects paint on the back of one of my tanks before.. looked awesome.  I just use vinyl now.  That way if i change my mind it just peels off later.  I got mine at a sign shop.(fleet image)  $20 for a 4'x4' piece.

mark0933

Privacy limo tint is what I used, works great, no bubbles but I had full access to the back (and got it professionally installed)

In past have used black paint - rollered on, works fine too

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Wow ! thanks guys, the ideas just keep rolling in. Now I'm wondering if a dark dark blue would work too? will have to try a couple different colours and see which I like best before I do the deed, I think I'll go with the low VOC and roll it on.

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
Yu can go to a art store. And buy some cheap colored. Cardboard sheets they use for art.  Get colors yud like to try. And just stick it to the back and see what color yu like.  But yu dont need to buy a black sheet.  Just rip open a garbage bag and scotch tape it and look and decide

Status
Not open for further replies.