Parasitic Copepods...

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

katie_

I had these little "mite" looking creatures festering on both my frogspawn. I had them diagnosed by an anthropologist and he recognized them as a parasitic copepod.
Has any one ever had these before?
Any idea what would eat these? My Ocellated Dragonet won't touch them.
The coral don't seem to be irritating by them in away way, but I would like get rid of them.
None of my other coral are infected, just the frogspawn. It started on one, and then transferred when I purchased another.

K

katie_

I have one of those as well. He doesn't go near them either  :?

R

reeffreak

Ive never heard of a parasitic copepod , ive heard of red bugs and things like that , any chance you can get a photo of it close up ? I dont see anything in the picture to help , what color are they ?

K

katie_

Unfortunately I had these professionally identified and that is indeed what they are. 
Many copepods are actually considered to be parasitic. The ones we have in our tanks are mostly benefitical and not looked upon as such (unless they are ectoparasites hosting on our fish).
This species was identified under a microscope, and it would be impossible for me to get a close enough picture for diagnoses with the naked eye.
Too bad no ones had any experience with these.

K

katie_

Also...'red bugs'  Tegastes acroporanus  -are a species of parasitic copepod.

K

katie_

I wasn't present when they were under the microscope, so I couldn't tell you.

R

reeffreak

IMO from what I gathered I dont think theres a fish out there to consume these and seeing that from what ive read most parasitic pods host on fish I would be keeping an eye on your fish and any of your lps and softies Im sure they will be on th move threw out the DT the article there mentions sofites and LPS being under attack .

R

reeffreak

"Our examination of parasitic copepods will conclude this month with an examination of those 'bugs' known to infest soft corals, gorgonians and Tridacna clams. Oddly, no reports are known to me of hobbyists observing any of these parasites, and no information has been presented in hobby literature that I am aware of"

First thing mentioned in the article i read

K

katie_

There are thousands of parasitic copepods, all hosting on fish and inverts alike. Thats not the question here.
They only host on my frogspawn, and have been this way for close to a year now without spreading.
Its unfortunate that there is very little literature on them, I must learn to live with them. Just thought I'd ask if anyone has had any PERSONAL experience with them, but with them being so difficult to identify without professional help - I highly doubt it.

R

reeffreak

thats what im trying to get at , your asking questions about something that has never been addressed EVER with a little bit of reading this was the conclusion , sorry to help out wont happen again .

K

katie_

Yes, there is little to no literature. Very true. Just wondering if any veteran coral hobbiest have ever spotted these before?

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
I'll assume that it was an Entomologist (although they tend to stick to land..) that did the taxonomic ID for you and the Anthropologist weighed in on the 'pods social and cultural development...sorry ;)

I'm sure that we all have parasitic species in our tanks since 30+% of 'pods are parasitic but we only tend to hear about the ones that commonly cause significant harm (red bugs, black bugs) the same way that we worry about bed bugs or ticks in the woods but don't even think about the little guys that are living in our eyelash follicles feeding on oils right now....

Nonetheless, in the artificial environment of our tanks, relatively harmless species can blossom (as it appears in your case) and become pests. (lack of natural predators, lower flow, etc).  If you want them gone, milbemycin oxime (sold as interceptor for dogs, also used for parasites in cattle) will kill anything with an exoskeleton.  It has been tested for parasite control in commercial mariculture (salmon lice) and is harmless to fish, algae, cnidarians.  Search the name and I'm sure someone has worked out dosages for aquaria or there may be a commercially available version for reef use.

Chances are that the parasites are species or family specific (why they haven't spread), so you can probably just dose the affected coral in a QT tank, but if they haven't been causing harm or retarding growth, a simple change in flow or lighting may reduce their numbers to a more aesthetically acceptable equilibrium...

Your dragonet is probably too wary of being stung by the frogspawn to go near them...

Re: personal experience...Mom was a research biologist (genetics) for Fed. Gov. fisheries research board...she cultivated "bad things" in her systems, then tried to kill them...   

R

reeffreak

Dosing meds isnt really a %100 way to reduce numbers , could end up doing more harm then good , like flatworms I know can wipe out a tank after they die they release toxins that destroy everything fish, inverts everything . Also interceptor can only be obtained from a vet if I remember correctly . If you go this route try and siphon out as many as possible if you are able to or like AdInfinitum mentioned dip the host coral in coral RX or somehting along those lines .

K

katie_

I worked a vet clinic for several years and have access to Interceptor (although the type I give my dogs is beef flavoured..probably not going to help my corals, heh).
I might give that dip a try.
Also, I have attempted to syphon them out but they have a great hold on my frogspawn and wouldn't let go. I had to suck them off with a pipette to get a sample and it made my coral VERY uphappy.

I called him an anthropologist to make things easier, but he has clarified with me today that he studies insects specifically, making him an entomologist. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for all your help.

R

reeffreak

Awsome keep us updated on what you do on how it works out for you , best of luck

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Did a little looking and API makes a product Melafix Marine based on tea tree oil (broad spectrum anti-parasitic...used for head lice etc...) for reef fish that has a lot of good feedback as an anti-parasitic for corals as well...even for stopping/curing brown jelly infection

Maybe less guess work, tested dosages etc... Although I would still just dip rather than treat the whole system...no need to wipe out the "good guys" as well.

K

katie_

We have Melafix at work right now, that actually might be more convenient for me.

So Interceptor kills shrimp too I see, lol. Well maybe I will stay clear of that. My little sexy shrimp look good living.

Status
Not open for further replies.