peppermint shrimp for apitasia

Status
Not open for further replies.

harleymike

Super Active Member
Was going too pick up one or two peppermint shrimp too control the apitasia. I have 5 small onew that have sprung up.
Will the shrimp bug my corals, or flame tip anenome.
thanks for any input.
Mike

J

jones02

They are a hit or miss. I have 2 in my tank and they did the job. But I know others that put them in annd they did nothing.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
no they shouldnt be an issue atal....

and i second what jones02 said
they dont always eat the apistia...

J

jones02

Viniger and needle,n but try the shrimp 1st. If you buy 2 u won't be out much if they donnt do anything.

AdamS

I have one, and he does great, had like 20 aiptasia and they were gone in a couple o days. Now he just eats leftover food. I recently added a frag with aiptasia on it, gone overnight.

Make sure what you get is in fact peppermint, as many look the same but cause problems.

harleymike

Super Active Member
thanks jones, and adam
I was just looking at pics and reading up on the peppermint shrimp.
There is one that looks the same, camel back i belive. That will eat corals.
I will make sure i get the right one.

Victoss

When I first had my tank running I had 2 peppermint shrimp for a few months but eventually they (more like the one) started to pick on my frogspawn and hammer corals so they got booted (Yes they were peppermint). Turns out I got some apitasia later on (I even left a giant head sitting in the front of my rockwork for a while because I'm lazy :p) but decided I would try another peppermint because I knew it was not common place for them to attack the corals and I just got some grumpy guys. Day or two later and no sign of the apitasia and its been about a year with them and no attacks on the corals.

So rarely they will attack your corals and can be a hit or miss if they will even touch your apitasia, other option is to deal with it yourself using the various products out there. Just know it may be a PITA if you need to remove them, I rarely see the ones I have now.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Your right alot of products are hit and miss. I stock apistia x, but I've had some bounce back from 4ml of the stuff and they look better than Before!

paoul

I know this thread is over month old but I will still put my 2 cents in use matted filefish. I got some rock from a friend full of aiptasia I mean like more than 50 and within a week the pair ate them all and I have never seen any since. Now they eat pretty much anything I feed in the tank brine shrimp flake nori sheets and I have not seen them touch any coral.

Status
Not open for further replies.