Phosphates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

Zakk

phi delt reefer link said:
pressure gauge tells you when ur filters need changing... a reduction in pressure means teh pores are blocked and the system isnt working at peak effeciency.

ahhhh.  Okay, I figured the TDS meters were good for that...if the numbers jump too quickly the membrane might be shot.  Do you also use a flushing kit?

P

phi delt reefer

i have a manual flushing kit... i only turn on my rodi unit when my resivor needs a top off of 10 gallons or more. i set the unit to flush and turn it on for 5 minutes, then i turn off the flush and make up my water.  that way the tds buildup on teh ro membrane from sitting unsused isnt pushed through the di. you dont have to do it but you'll save money on membranes and di resin.

Z

Zakk

phi delt reefer link said:
i have a manual flushing kit... i only turn on my rodi unit when my resivor needs a top off of 10 gallons or more. i set the unit to flush and turn it on for 5 minutes, then i turn off the flush and make up my water.  that way the tds buildup on teh ro membrane from sitting unsused isnt pushed through the di. you dont have to do it but you'll save money on membranes and di resin.

Ah, okay, that would explain the high tds readings when I start it up.  I'm not too worried about cost, as this does get some use as drinking water, but I don't want to wear out things prematurely if I don't have to. 

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
When my pressure gauge starts to drop .. i flush the membrane for 15 min and it will bring it back to when it was new...

Krazykarl

Super Active Member
What should the pressure be at under normal operation? Does the gauge go before the ro/di or after?

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Its all goign to be different depending on you house water supply pressure.

mine is 70 psi ... I usually fill my Top off once every 10 ten days... and flush after each use....

I have neglected to and have seen the pressur drop to about 55.... flushed it for a while and crept back up.

Blob-79

Super Active Member
Krazykarl link said:
- I recently (2 months ago) bought all new filters for my ro system hoping to help my problem. I brought a sample ofthe water in after 2 hours of flushing the filters for testing as I do not have a Tds meter. Her meter read 0 ppm.

Personally I wouldnt trust a tds meter that reads 0 tds on water that is only RO. 

oakleyx

Kent marine makes a product called phosphate sponge. It will reduce your phosphates greatly in 48 hours but you have to remove it in 48 hours else it will release the phosphates back into your system.

Then I would use gfo to keep the phosphates down.

Status
Not open for further replies.