Photos you seen and just had to share.

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
jroovers link said:
That is crazy, I'd like to see what is inside there holding that tank up suspended off the ground!
jroovers link said:
That is crazy, I'd like to see what is inside there holding that tank up suspended off the ground!
jroovers link said:
prolly some ibeams  with a stell beam ceiling

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I have been toying with the idea of trying to build a floating tank, but would be using rare earth magnets to do so.

theyangman

Distinguished Member
By the looks of it, that is at LEAST 6 feet wide. It would have to be 100000% structurally reinforced into the wall. The two suspension cables on the end are doing dick all too hold up that much weight.

Or it could just be a photoshop.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
jroovers link said:

Maybe it is more yellow tangs lol.... Someone seems to have a fetish for them haha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Photos you seen and just had to share.

theyangman link said:
By the looks of it, that is at LEAST 6 feet wide. It would have to be 100000% structurally reinforced into the wall. The two suspension cables on the end are doing dick all too hold up that much weight.

I'm sure they will have it structurally secured into the wall and use some sort of material that will not flex.... This way the supports on the end will not have to pick up too much weight. It's definitely more than possible to do.....I see buildings constructed with much more weight bearing complexity than this!
As long as it doesn't have to bear the weight of snow then they should be good lol..... Seems like this is a calculation nobody can figure out with all the buildings that collapse each year because of it. :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
theyangman link said:

+1, but its 10ft at least IMO

it looks like an awesome tank though, would def be cool if we could find a build thread..................

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Poseidon link said:
[quote author=theyangman link=topic=6239.msg71896#msg71896 date=1386363653]

+1, but its 10ft at least IMO

it looks like an awesome tank though, would def be cool if we could find a build thread..................
[/quote]

did you see the size of those cables? the tensile strength of those is enormous, im no engineer but im almost positive that while it will be anchored and reinforced to the structure inside the wall its most likely just the using the floor joists for its strength on that side.. so picture a big metal "L", rotate it 90 degrees, hide the short side in the wall, attach cables to long side and ceiling supports. Its got to be hanging at least half or more of the weight on those cables,i bet its all square stock 2x4 steel tubing and the stand itself weighs well over 1000 pounds. those 2 cables have adjusters up in the ceiling to crank the tension on them. they are most definitely what is making this setup work.

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
those cables are same as they use to pull loaded trucks and trailers backwards at the dump  when they pull them with a big ass caterpillar bulldozer    a fully loaded rig weights 60 tonnes..he could have got by with just one cable

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Petercar link said:
those cables are same as they use to pull loaded trucks and trailers backwards at the dump  when they pull them with a big ass caterpillar bulldozer    a fully loaded rig weights 60 tonnes..he could have got by with just one cable

They may be the same type of cable but prob not same gauge (thickness). By the looks of the tank setup I'm sure the guy knew what he was doing.

theyangman

Distinguished Member
Re: Photos you seen and just had to share.

I'm no engineer. You guys could be bang on. They didnt look that thick to me but hey. I sell cars for a living not building bridges.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
unibob link said:
[quote author=Petercar link=topic=6239.msg71953#msg71953 date=1386381204]

They may be the same type of cable but prob not same gauge (thickness). By the looks of the tank setup I'm sure the guy knew what he was doing.
[/quote]

a single 3/8" cable can hold well over 12000 lbs depending on if its galvanized or if its stainless.. those look like 3/4" or even 1" so each cable would have a breaking power of 60000+lbs so while i guess it was oversized with some asthetics in mind im certain its functional and the main support for this build. Super nice design, i wonder if its actually a hobbyist or just someone with too much money.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Duke link said:
[quote author=unibob link=topic=6239.msg71954#msg71954 date=1386381318]

[quote author=Petercar link=topic=6239.msg71953#msg71953 date=1386381204]

[/quote]

a single 3/8" cable can hold well over 12000 lbs depending on if its galvanized or if its stainless.. those look like 3/4" or even 1" so each cable would have a breaking power of 60000+lbs so while i guess it was oversized with some asthetics in mind im certain its functional and the main support for this build. Super nice design, i wonder if its actually a hobbyist or just someone with too much money.
[/quote]

The too much money thing gets me, they just have the tank cuz it's cool , but they know nothing and do nothing , a company just handles it all....

There def is a difference between a hobbiest and some with too much dough..

+1 to that thought is what I'm saying :)

theyangman

Distinguished Member
Mercedes-Benz-SLS_AMG_2011_800x600_wallpaper_01.jpg

Mercedes-Benz-SLS_AMG_2011_800x600_wallpaper_06.jpg