Phoz Down

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
I started dosing Phoz down March 28, I got tired of carbon dosing cause although it works well for no3 it doesn't do much for po4 and the bacteria clogs my socks daily, also I hate spending big bucks for rust.
I spent 8 weeks weaning my tank off the vinegar, I have a hanna phosphorus checker but was not sure what my po4 was exactly but I knew it was high because the bubble algae was going crazy and some furry algae was growing on the rocks and some of my corals were getting hair algae on there bare skeleton and cyano was showing up.
I ordered some reagents from Goreef and got lots 38 and 39, the packaging is new and improved and the reagent is very powdery and dissolves quickly and completely and the results are more believable.
To say the least, I am impressed so far, I am very busy right now but will post some procedures and results as soon as I can.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Got a chance to update.
So I started dosing manually by the Phoz Down instructions, 1 drop per 10 gals daily to remove 0.02 ppm. I dosed into my 20 gal refugium which drains to my sump @ 400 gph through a 10 micron sock. I had hanna lot 34 at the time and my  po4 was reading anywhere from 16 ppb to 45 ppb, bubble algae was growing faster than I could remove it, hair algae was growing on my power heads, some brown fuzz like algae was growing in a few spots on the rock and green micro algae on the glass needed to be cleaned daily.
I was running 2 BRS reactors with 250ml HC GFO in each, I was regenerating the GFO so I bought 1/2 gal from BRS and ran virgin for a few months changing it every 3 weeks but that didn't make a difference. I had purchased some live rock from a fellow reefer awhile ago and suspect it was leaching.

I dosed manually for about 3 days then mixed 20ml Phoz in 230ml  RODI and dosed with a BRS doser 1ml solution every 30 min, I had to change the sock daily, lot 34 was still showing 20ppb average, however, algae and cyano were subsiding.
I got the new reagents and lot 38 showed 6 ppb, I continued the same dose for a few more days and got to 0. On Sunday I checked at @ 9 am and got 0, fed the corals and checked an hour later and got 12ppb, checked at 4 pm and got 2ppb, fed the fish and was back at 12ppb, checked Monday 7 am and got 0.
I have reduced the solution down to 10ml Phoz and 200ml RODI and am trying to find the dose that will give me @ 5ppb when I test at 7am to make sure I am not overdosing.

The Phoz Down cost me $30 for 240ml but I just ordered some Brightwell Aquatics Phosphate E from Marine Depot, which is supposed to be more concentrated, 2 litres for $62 with 15% off and it should last for a few years. When my nitrates, which are still 0 (salifert), start to rise I'm going to set up the sulphur denitrator.

So far I am very pleased with the result and I think hanna finally got the reagents fixed as the tests are consistent and corellate with the feeding and dosing. All the animals are doing just fine and the bubble algae has stopped advancing and has started turning clear and hopefully disappears.

The lanthanum chloride is also available for pools but it is not recommended as it may contain copper and other herbicides.