Pink Milli Turned Gold Wt*

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
i got a frag of pink millepora at the brantford show and after a few months it had turned a very golden colour. at first i figured it was on its way out but as usual i left it and watched and surprisingly all the new growth tips started to form after the colour change. its still holding colour strongly and good pe during feeding so i can only assume its healthy.

i know corals do weird things when introduced to other systems but just wondering if anyone else has experienced this ive had corals slightly change colour before but never this drastically. not that im complaining i love the gold look but my wifes telling me i need another pink one so its getting me in trouble lol.

@saltycracker i know your a milli freak and got lots of those pinks so hopefully you got some kind of a guess......

Through view box
IMG_20150518_193150.jpg
Through front pane
IMG_20150518_193416.jpg
My pics dont show the colour the greatest its hard to drown out the ai sol blues with a phone camera but you get the idea

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
Was the frag you purchased from an established pink colony or one that was recently fragged from a recent import? Reason I ask is a lot of millis come in superbright with nice colours but then go through a stage of browning before colouring back up (which sometimes doesn't happen).

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
I have a pink milli doing the same thig actually.
glad im not alone on this one lol is it a very bright gold as well mine never got to a brown look

Was the frag you purchased from an established pink colony or one that was recently fragged from a recent import? Reason I ask is a lot of millis come in superbright with nice colours but then go through a stage of browning before colouring back up (which sometimes doesn't happen).

Not sure think it was established was from fragbox i believe. thats what i figured was happening originally but it never really got brown its actually a very defined gold almost orange tinge (unlike my shitty pic the strong blue light makes it look kind of grey/green) guess ill have to wait and see

Kman

Super Active Member
Pink is one of those funny colors. Sometimes they hold color other times not so much. I have seen pink go away for a couple of months and then start to come back. You might have to wait for new growth. Do you know what the light level was in the original location? You might have to pin that down to figure out if you need to move it to higher or lover lighting.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
Pink is one of those funny colors. Sometimes they hold color other times not so much. I have seen pink go away for a couple of months and then start to come back. You might have to wait for new growth. Do you know what the light level was in the original location? You might have to pin that down to figure out if you need to move it to higher or lover lighting.
when i got it it was just the 3 main stalks with one having a little nub all those other little nubs forming are new growth since the brantford show thats why im so boggled even the new growth is gold and i never had any growth till it was gold.... plain weird lol im happy with it gold its my wife thats not haha

Kman

Super Active Member
Damn pink corals! lol I read somewhere that if you are lacking a certain trace elements the pink can go away. I will have to check tonight as to what that is. It could be potassium.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
lmao ya no shit stupid pink lol i think im leaning owards bigshows outlook hopefully it colours back up.... potassium is the one kit i dont have but do have iodine strontium mag and all the other usual plus seachems buffer system buffers potassium as well so it should be proper

Kman

Super Active Member
I am sure it will color back up in time. I have the same issue with pink color corals. My pink Matrix when I got it surprisingly didn't as bad as I thought it would. It did darken up a little but now it is a darker pink instead of a light pink.
I did a quick look and if you look for the product B-Balance by ZIOvit the color pink and red are influenced by this product. Allegedly of course. lol

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
they have linked alot of trace elements to coral colouration i used to have an amazing research pdf someone in queensland au did they found iron heavily influennces green, cobalt and vanadium- blue, bromide was another big one and boron but thats all i can remember off hand.... i may have gotten it from seachem when i was asking about why they have traces of copper and other metal minerals in the aqua vitro fuel not sure ive done so much searching over the years

Kman

Super Active Member
I had something along those lines as well that I can't find. Color of light and nutrient levels also contribute to color. If you lack enough red and white spectrum you can effect the pink color.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
I had something along those lines as well that I can't find. Color of light and nutrient levels also contribute to color. If you lack enough red and white spectrum you can effect the pink color.

thats why ive been pondering adding a fiji purple t5 to my sol blues.... ive recently increased the whites a bit too

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
I'm pretty sure the colour will return. I've had my a. Convexa turn a bright gold for months before it began to darken up and get the red back.

I've never had much luck with pink sps of any kind. They usually darken up and lose the true pink colour. But then again, I haven't tried a pink piece in a long time

Sony Xperia Z3

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
I wouldn't go crazy testing for all that crap. Likely it was a maricultured colony that was freshly imported and cut and sold. Just keep your tank stable and there is a good chance the colour will come back.

reef keeper

Super Active Member
I'm pretty sure the colour will return. I've had my a. Convexa turn a bright gold for months before it began to darken up and get the red back.

I've never had much luck with pink sps of any kind. They usually darken up and lose the true pink colour. But then again, I haven't tried a pink piece in a long time

Sony Xperia Z3
You need HALIDES ;)

reef keeper

Super Active Member
Ha. I'll only use Beckett skimmers. Touché. I'm so old school My frag tank is growing more corraline in a month under a 250w halide than my main tank did in a year of radions.

Kuh-pow