Platypus' First 120 Build

Platypus

Ok, here we go. Let the fun begin! I will apologize in advance for a plethora of silly questions, and, information overload.

I'm trying to go over all of the logistics here to make sure things will go as smoothly as possible, but some how it almost seems as though there are so many options, directions, and variables that you can drive yourself crazy, and it would be much better just flying by the seat of your pants! :)

I'm looking at making the stand out of wood, and one of the challenges is dimensions.....I'm sure some can sympathize that I have to make sure it falls within the criteria of the cruise director and not take up to much room, plus the challenges I've read from some of the members of not wanting to have to get my working at heights training to do maintenance in the DT. That being said, my refugium is a 75 gallon at 21" high. If I am trying to maximize my water volume and run it 1/2 to 3/4 full, and am looking at a Bubble Magnus Curve A5, or A8 as my skimmer, what distance would be good to set the height of the DT to allow easy maintenance access? I was thinking around 7" since the A8 is 22" high, and that should allow ample room for depth adjustment as well doing maintenance in the refugium. That would roughly put the top of the DT at 56", and leaving 6" from the top of the tank to the bottom of the floating canopy, or is there another recommended distance? I am using 2 or possibly 3 Mars Aqua LED boxes for my lighting.

Another question I have been pondering, and again I know I may just be over analyzing, but water RODI is a must, and if I am looking at getting my own system does it matter if I put it after a home water softener system? Would it be better to put if before the system, and leave the calcium, and magnesium in for the water chemistry numbers?

Anyway, not many exciting pictures to share yet, but hopefully there will be more soon.

Any input, and advice would be greatly appreciated.

upload_2019-1-13_16-40-9.jpeg

upload_2019-1-13_16-40-43.jpeg

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Good luck on the new build.

I'd recommend going with the A8 skimmer for the size of your system.
If that's the route you're taking then the A8 is 22.5" tall. Ideal running water depth would be max 10". With you deciding to run the 75gal at 3/4 full would mean that you would be running about 16" height of water. So the skimmer would need a minimum of a 6" lift inside the sump. Which means to just fit the skimmer in. You would need a total of 38.5" of clearance. Factoring in roughly 4" of clearance to remove the skimmer cup would mean you would need a minimum of 42.5" of clearance under the stand.

As for your rodi unit. I'd suggest running it on softened water. You will get much longer life out of the filters, membranes and di resin.

S8

Platypus

the A8 is 22.5" tall. Ideal running water depth would be max 10". With you deciding to run the 75gal at 3/4 full would mean that you would be running about 16" height of water. So the skimmer would need a minimum of a 6" lift inside the sump. Which means to just fit the skimmer in. You would need a total of 38.5" of clearance. Factoring in roughly 4" of clearance to remove the skimmer cup would mean you would need a minimum of 42.5" of clearance under the stand.

Thanks for the info EricTMah. Do you run a Bubble Magnus? If so how do you like it? I just did some remeasuring with those numbers, because I want to stay as close to the 32" height limit, I think i will run the water level closer to the 1/2 level. That will also give me a larger buffer for preventing flooding of the refugium.

Is there anything else I may be missing? Is there an actual rule of thumb for lighting distance above the tank, or it all depends on the lighting, and intensity?
Thanks again for the help. :)

Last edited:

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
I run a bubble magnus curve 9 on my system and think it's a great budget friendly skimmer.

Depending on the type of lights you're planning to run and how many of them. That will determine the hanging height of the lights over the surface of the water.

S8