Plumbing The New Aquarium, Thoughts?

[KRAFTIG]

So this is what I sketched for the initial plumbing apparatus for the new tank. The sump is going to be Eshopps AZU-100 (tank capacity 17 gallons). The aquarium itself is a custom 90 gallon 36x24x24 (fish only). My questions to the group are as follows:

1) What is wrong, or can be improved?
2) Is the Eshopps AZU-100 Sump large enough?

TIA!

tank%20plumbing.jpg

azu100.jpg

Josh

honestly, if that picture is actually accurate to sizing i would fill that entire cabinet with the sump. Dont think a single person will tell you not to get the biggest sump you can fit :D

[KRAFTIG]

I have 36 inches to play with, but I want to add ATO tank too. The Eshopps is rated for 100 Gallon tank. Mine will be 90, fish only.

Josh

I wouldnt fret much on "ratings" i would personally size my sump to the max, obviously that includes leaving room for ATO's / Dosers / Skimmers etc etc.

Im working on a 120gallon build right now and the current plan is to put the sump in my basement and im honestly going to aim for the biggest sump i can find. More liverock you can add downstairs means less in display as well as a healthier tank. Your live rock is what takes care of your bio load so the larger the sump the larger the "biological filter"

Might want to leave room for some kind of reactor as well whether you can mount it on a wall or inside the cabinet as well.

[KRAFTIG]

Unfortunately my build will be a loft area, and I want to contain everything inside the stand. 80-100lbs of dry rock will be used and Marine Pure inside the sump. Once the tank is running it will cycle for 2-3 months. What I've compensated for: Skimmer check, ATO check, Reactor check (BRS unt). Again this a fish only environment so dosers etc aren't required.

I'll look into larger sumps, but based on my footprint I win in some areas and then lose in other if I increases the footprint. Maybe I'll speak with Derek at Miracles Aqustieum, that's where my custom tank and stand/top are being made. I understand he can produce custom sumps.

Equipment under consideration:

Salifert Nitrate (NO3) Test kit Salifert
Salifert Nitrite (NO2) Test kit Salifert
Salifert PH Test Kit Salifert
Salifert Ammonia (NH4) Test kit Salifert
Red Sea Marine Care Test Kit Red Sea

BRS RO/DI - Stage 4
BRS Reactor

CaribSea Seafloor Special Grade Reef Sand Dry Aragonite 40lb CaribSea
CaribSea South Seas Base Rock 80-100lb CaribSea

Eheim Jager TruTemp Submersible Heater - 250 W Eheim
AZU-100 - Deluxe Series (Eshopps AZU-100 Deluxe Reef Sump (up to 100g)) Eshopps
Pacific M Reservoir Tank Eshopps
Instant Ocean Sea Salt 160 Gallons Instant Ocean
Reef Octopus Classic 150SS Space Saver Skimmer Reef Octopus

Jebao / Jecod DCS 4000 Controllable Water Pump (749 to 1055 GPH) Jebao / Jecod
Sicce Syncra 4.0 Pump - 951 GPH Sicce

shamous113

Why all the ball valves after the return pump? and like @Josh mentioned the bigger the sump the better, a lot of people start out fish only then they get the coral itch....

Josh

Yup I only lasted 6 months before i started. I was dead set on FOWLR too haha

I imagine almost everyone here has this story to telll

Quartapound

I just recently decided on a return pump for a new, larger, lower sump in a situation similar to yours. I went with the Jebao DCP 8000. my sump is in the basement, display is directly above it. I'm making a manifold now to feed the display tank, gfo reactor, brs media reactor, and frag tank, as well as an output at the filter sock for closed loop sump cleaning.

the DCS is an older version of pumps. I'm not sure the differences between that and the DCP (the newest revision) but there may be improvements between the two, might be worth looking into.