Poseidons Saltwater Endeavors

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
EDIT- 03/03/2014
If you are starting from the beginning of this thread, bear with me, as the main tank leaked-- still the same 'system' just with a 'new' tank :)

thanks for reading!

Edit- Switch to FOWLR, last 3-4 pages feature this

Jan 2016 Edit- been tankless for over a year. Am going to start new thread.

Pics start page 5 of this thread, for some reason over time they dont stay?

BEGINNING

Here's the Skeleton going up.
The tank is 48x24x30

Equipment:
Sump 65g 18x18x 48
Skimmer, SWC 180
Return - mag 18 to a sea swirl
Reactors - bio pellets , gfo possibly carbon.
Lighting - 2-400w MH , for now ;)

Last edited:

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
My 150g

Well I heard it takes alot of stuff out of your system. Bad and good stuff alike.
I'm gonna do more research on it

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Re: My 150g

so the tank is almost full or r/o water... maybe another day or two.
i have a question though, how soon do i start running the bio pellets and gfo/rowa... not sure which one yet as i have both.

do i start running it as soon as i have the sand, dry/liverock in?
im going to be using a bacteria ive picked up from pulp. It worked wonders on my frag tank, cycled over night, literally.
this will hopefully happen tmrw night or friday...
im also 90% sure im buying blobs lights, his 6 bulb tek and his 2 bulb retro, so i will be running 8 bulbs. (duh)
but you guys all need to hurry up and buy his corals so i can take the light off him :p

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate

my suggestion would be to take it slow and do it right, no magic potion is going to cycle your tank over night, get some salt water in there and get the cycle started properly!

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
My 150g

Lol it's no magic potion, just a bacterial boost. People are using such potions all over for the marine hobby. It's not doing it wrong. It's just doing it some other way. I've used it before and every coral and fish I put into the tank that I used it on are doing amazing. And Pulp has being using it for years.

And that wasn't really the question though. The question was when do I start the bio pellets and phosphate remover.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate

Brandon link said:
The question was when do I start the bio pellets and phosphate remover.

If it was me I would wait until its cycled, I would also be running both gfo and the pellets.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
My 150g

Ok I shall do that, and yea gfo or rowaphos is what I mean by phosphate remover. I have both.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate

may get some more input from others, i started with a complete running system, so the cycle never really happened. The previous owner didn't do anything but feed the fish and do water changes once a month, the phosphate levels were really really high in my tank after i gave everything a few days to settle, i went with a tlf150 and gfo and its been going good ever since. i started the bio pellets just a few weeks ago, i always battled to keep my nitrates low without them because i rushed into it and added a bunch of fish and coral as soon as i could get to the LFS, it took almost a year for the nitrates to work themselves out on their own in my tank. I started them now so i can keep all the levels really low and still feed the tank a lot.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
My 150g

So everything Is up and running. Still waiting for the light though.
I've got some dry rock in and the sand. Waiting for it to clear up, then ill aquascape with the liverock and dump in the bacteria.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
My 150g

Thanks! I really love the extra 2 ft of stand on the side... Plenty of room to hide cords, reactors, ballasts etc. ill get more pics once I get everything hooked up.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
My 150g

Well it's a wee bit over 7 ft tall but it's all the room I had to spare :p
I really like the 3 sided tank so far... Will have to see later on... I can only open the doors in the bottom and tall section one way.... But the top canopy opens all the way around..

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
My 150g

Got my rock work done today, modded my sea swirl, bite the bullet and got the 6 bulb light from blob, also got his dual retro kit and am going to install them of the side rails you see in the pics.
Spent close to 4 hours aqua scaping. Still not 100% happy with it but I'm hoping it will fill out when I put my corals in. I also got the ato from blob so ill be using a 10g tank and that hopefully for my ato. And I manage to get a mj 900 buried in the rocks for additional flow in the front. I have 2 hydro 1200's and the sea swirl for the rest of the water movement.