Prazi-pro

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Came home today to find my white cheek tang covered in what looks to be flukes. I dosed the tank with prazi-pro, which requires skimming to be stopped. I left the skimmer running, but took the cup off to keep the tank oxygenated. My concern is how long is it safe to have the tank essentially unfiltered? According to the directions, a treatment takes 7 days. Are multiple WCs in order?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Unless your bioload is huge (and your tank sure wasnt crowded when I was there) you could run it for years without a skimmer as all of us did in the old days. The live rock takes care of the filtration. The treatment period need to be done with no water changes until it is over.

That guy has been in mine and Nexus' tanks for a long time with not a spot and I still QT'd and treated when I got him from Nexus...man you've got some bad luck going...:(

heath

Distinguished Member
Jeff, I just looked up eye flukes in one of my books... treatment says the following; Praziquantel treatment at 4ppm, followed by a 50 per cent water change after 48 hrs. second treatment 12 to 14 days later followed by another 50 per cent water change..there is more info on gill flukes and body flukes.. if you want the info let me know..

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Jeff, I just looked up eye flukes in one of my books... treatment says the following; Praziquantel treatment at 4ppm, followed by a 50 per cent water change after 48 hrs. second treatment 12 to 14 days later followed by another 50 per cent water change..there is more info on gill flukes and body flukes.. if you want the info let me know..
If it is indeed flukes, it'll be body flukes. I'll try to get a pic but my iphone camera autofocus is slow, and the tang is stupidly fast!

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Wife took this earlier...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433385153.639983.jpg

heath

Distinguished Member
I hear what your saying.. if you want more info let me know.. I purchased this book in the spring and its an awesome book covers everything..the treatment for body flukes is the following; it also said to do a five minute freshwater dip and you should see dead worms in the bottom of whatever you used, they say that the treatment for body flukes is ; praziquantel at 2.2mg/l and after 72 hrs 50 per cent water change and re-dose the tank with the same amount..hope this helps..

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Well, lost the white cheek today. I did manage to give him a fw dip a couple days ago, but guess it wasn't enough. No idea if the prazipro did anything. Also lost the pearlscale butterfly yesterday. No visible signs of anything wrong with him, so not sure if it was related. This tank is cursed!!! The only losses i had in the old tank were due to ich (and the toadfish that choked on the lionfish!). And those were the first additions, so I'm attributing that to bad luck. Canary wrasse and blue spot puffer are still carrying on as usual. Ironically, they were the first fish in since the reboot! Going to be a long time before i risk adding anymore fish!

heath

Distinguished Member
That is too bad Jeff, sorry for your loss :(..maybe its time to rip the tank apart and give everything a super good cleaning and get rid of any residue of anything that might be left in the tank..

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Seems laterally compressed fish don't do well for me for some reason. Knocks down my fish selection significantly!