Protein Skimmer

AdamS

Hey all,

So I have a Marine Sources skimmer. It is a year and a half old and i have fixed the motor twice. Well once, my second time is as I write this and its not going so well. Assuming it works, the skimmer is still loud and overall not very good, imo. I have nothing to compare it to, but it just doesnt seem great...

So I need some advice on a new in-sump skimmer. I am looking for something that is reliable, pulls out shit well, and is quiet. My whole setup is in the living room, its a 75g with an avg bio-load.

Finally, anyone have a spare just in case?

Thanks,
Adam

PS, mods is this the wrong forum? Sorry.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Sorry to hear about your skimmer, as I thought the Marine Source were pretty good, especially with the red dragon pump.

I run a SWC-160 cone and it is quiet and pulls like a pure beast. Alot of guys don't like the atman2500 pump, but it has been good to me.
I know a few other members run the same skimmer on this board. It would be a good choice for your size tank.

AdamS

Its actually a devil pump. Do you think I could find a good replacement pump? I have looked a little but i get lost real quick.

AdamS

So i got the pump back going, the plastic pinwheel inside keeps breaking. Its so freakin loud though which tells me its not balanced, which is likely why it is breaking.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
FUCK the atman 2500.

Go with a reef octopus.  I haven't even cleaned mine in over a year and it's still running.  I burned through 2 atman pumps (and 3 meshwheels) in the same time.  Fucking ass shit motor that is (although I really like the construction on the SWC otherwise).

AdamS

The reef octopus looks like a good option. The OTP pump gets a few bad reviews but the bubble blaster pump is a direct replacement. It appears coralvue has great customer service too!

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I have same pump, same skimmer I believe Adam. Pump quit on me as well, I got it spinning again by soaking in vinegar, it stopped when I went to clean sump, never came back on. When it did come back on after soaking, there were a few black nubs here and there so I'm guessing something got stuck in it.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
teebone110 link said:
atman hater ::)  according to the infamous \"Jason\" at SWC, they use a different atman that was designed specifically for SWC, not the same atman 2500 that was recently recalled. :eek:

They should just get rid of that shit pump, and stop putting the pump in the skimmer body.  Both are bad ideas. 

Giglio324

alot of guys like the vertex and the reef octopus line of skimmers both are awesome. I have a reef dynamics and it kicks A**. very easily adjustable to go from dark black dry skim to wet green tea. I have to clean it atleast every 5 days or itll get a bit to full. look into them. If you need it in a pinch it might be a bit tough they take a while to ship, they are hand made in california.

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
Salty Cracker link said:
[quote author=teebone110 link=topic=6209.msg59866#msg59866 date=1378269553]
atman hater ::)  according to the infamous \"Jason\" at SWC, they use a different atman that was designed specifically for SWC, not the same atman 2500 that was recently recalled. :eek:

They should just get rid of that shit pump, and stop putting the pump in the skimmer body.  Both are bad ideas. 
[/quote]the skimmer i just took out of the sump was the swc 150  which was recomendd by blob i got from bill. 2 yrs ago  is still kicking ass.    and with the atman pump ...

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Im a deltec guy..... :)

Ive got a couple items from lifereef now and would likely go with one from jeff at lifereef if i was to buy another.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Petercar link said:
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=6209.msg59882#msg59882 date=1378298166]
[quote author=teebone110 link=topic=6209.msg59866#msg59866 date=1378269553]
[/quote]the skimmer i just took out of the sump was the swc 150  which was recomendd by blob i got from bill. 2 yrs ago  is still kicking ass.    and with the atman pump ...
[/quote]

I also run a SWC 160 and it has the Atman pump and no issues at all... you gotta remember, you only hear the complaints about things because people that are satisfied never usually bother to say anything, so for every 1 person that complains, there are probally 100 people that are happy and don't say anything at all.