Protein Skimmer

AdamS

Thanks for the responses...

To give a little more background, in the last month our car died, $12,000, our laptop died $1,500, our roof is dead, $5,000, we started scuba lessons $2,000 (prior to all the other shit), 3 kids in diapers $50,000... Anyways you get my point (money is an issue, in case you missed my point). I think I am going to go with a reef octopus, I can get a used xs160 for $225 or the nwb150 for $230 new, so that is I think the real decision.

Thanks again everyone

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
AdamS link said:
Thanks for the responses...

To give a little more background, in the last month our car died, $12,000, our laptop died $1,500, our roof is dead, $5,000, we started scuba lessons $2,000 (prior to all the other shit), 3 kids in diapers $50,000... Anyways you get my point (money is an issue, in case you missed my point). I think I am going to go with a reef octopus, I can get a used xs160 for $225 or the nwb150 for $230 new, so that is I think the real decision.

Thanks again everyone

12,000 for a new car?
i coulda got you a much better deal ;)
same with the laptop, and the roof, and Kens dive shop does 400$ lessons, full equipment included,
and use washable diapers ... :D

haha im just messing around, that does suck but hey, when it rains it pours :(

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Petercar link said:
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=6209.msg59882#msg59882 date=1378298166]
[quote author=teebone110 link=topic=6209.msg59866#msg59866 date=1378269553]
atman hater ::)  according to the infamous \"Jason\" at SWC, they use a different atman that was designed specifically for SWC, not the same atman 2500 that was recently recalled. :eek:

They should just get rid of that shit pump, and stop putting the pump in the skimmer body.  Both are bad ideas. 
[/quote]the skimmer i just took out of the sump was the swc 150  which was recomendd by blob i got from bill. 2 yrs ago  is still kicking ass.    and with the atman pump ...
[/quote]

Really?  Did bill mention the government recall and that his "store" was one cited for selling a dangerous item to consumers?  http://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-alert-rappel-avis/hc-sc/2013/33949r-eng.php

I rest my case on the awesome atman pumps. 

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Poseidon link said:
[quote author=Petercar link=topic=6209.msg59884#msg59884 date=1378299984]
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=6209.msg59882#msg59882 date=1378298166]
[quote author=teebone110 link=topic=6209.msg59866#msg59866 date=1378269553]
atman hater ::)  according to the infamous \"Jason\" at SWC, they use a different atman that was designed specifically for SWC, not the same atman 2500 that was recently recalled. :eek:
They should just get rid of that shit pump, and stop putting the pump in the skimmer body.  Both are bad ideas. 
[/quote]the skimmer i just took out of the sump was the swc 150  which was recomendd by blob i got from bill. 2 yrs ago  is still kicking ass.    and with the atman pump ...
[/quote]

I also run a SWC 160 and it has the Atman pump and no issues at all... you gotta remember, you only hear the complaints about things because people that are satisfied never usually bother to say anything, so for every 1 person that complains, there are probally 100 people that are happy and don't say anything at all.
[/quote]

Yeah until the government says to unplug them immediately.  Oh by the way, you should unplug yours immediately....

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Poseidon link said:
Government can suck my left testi**e

Yeah well in this case it's hard to argue.  I have had 2 pumps go to shit on me in the same skimmer (bubble magus), and I sold off a third (swc) because I knew it had the atman in it.  They're an actual hazard, plain and simple.  Do you at least have your setup on a GFCI so that you don't die when the pump goes nuclear?

I wonder if IA has a notice up in the store about the recall, since it is listed on the government site.  I assume that the LED's that Tony has will be on a recall list shortly too. 

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Well the thing is....SWC used -exactly- the same pumps from the same time period, there was no special "bubble magus only" atman, the swc I had had the -exact- same pump in it, and I think it was jammed in almost the same way (the bubble magus was a FAR inferior constructed skimmer however), but it doesn't look like the SWC is covered by the recall.  I only know this from all the trouble I went to trying to find a replacement atman.  I went so far as to try and do a conversion to a sicce pump, but gave up and just bought the RO, which ended up being a fantastic skimmer, for my use anyway. 

AdamS

I have my setup on GFCI, and i tested it last night when I spilled water on my powerbar. Worked great. I recommend GFCI.

Ok, back to my Protein Skimmer problem, should I go with a new NWB150 or a used xs160. The sicce pump is supposed to be a lot better, but glen seems to like his nwb150 just fine, plus the Nwb150 will also accept a bubble blaster pump directly.

Hmm, I feel like I should just go with the new one...

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
funny thing is, the sicce is a better rated and reliable pump, but it moved a lot less water than the atman (I'll give it that).  That's why that one kickass skimmer uses 3 sicce motors on it.

I don't even know what pump is on my skimmer, I just know I haven't had to pull it out of the sump yet to clean it/restart it etc.  Like not once.  Maybe I got a fluke, and I do run 4 socks on my overflows, maybe that helps a lot with crap not getting in the pump I dunno. 

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Salty Cracker link said:
Well the thing is....SWC used -exactly- the same pumps from the same time period, there was no special \"bubble magus only\" atman, the swc I had had the -exact- same pump in it, and I think it was jammed in almost the same way (the bubble magus was a FAR inferior constructed skimmer however), but it doesn't look like the SWC is covered by the recall.  I only know this from all the trouble I went to trying to find a replacement atman.  I went so far as to try and do a conversion to a sicce pump, but gave up and just bought the RO, which ended up being a fantastic skimmer, for my use anyway. 

All liability will be directed to Jayson at SWC...

On 2013-03-19, at 8:56 PM, Salt Water Connection <reefman@mymts.net> wrote:

> We do not use the same pump as the BM brand of skimmer. Thanks
>
>
> Jayson
> Salt Water Connection
> 194 Henderson HWY
> Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
> R2L 1L8
> 204-255-9308 office
> 204-297-7258 mobile
>

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Salty Cracker link said:

I agree that it is probably the same pump, but just being transparent about SWC's position..

Look at the other email, I sent to him for clarification ..

I think that they didnt want to be on the hook to switch out all the atmans they put in their skimmers??
It would be easier to just declare bankruptcy :)

Sent: Wednesday, March 20, 2013 7:13 PM
Subject: RE: Message from Salt Water Connection

> One made specifically for us and nobody else. Thanks
>
>
> Jayson
> Salt Water Connection
> 194 Henderson HWY
> Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
> R2L 1L8
> 204-255-9308 office
> 204-297-7258 mobile
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2013 11:53 PM
> To: reefman@mymts.net
> Subject: Re: Message from Salt Water Connection
>
> Can you clarify which Atman 2500 pump that you use? Thanks.
>
>
>
>

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I guess I don't blame them for not wanting to give out thousands of $$$ in replacement pumps, HOWEVER, the issues with the atman pumps have been around since day 1, they knew they were cheeeeeap Chinese pumps, and they still used them, so they probably will get hit sooner or later with a recall. 

If memory serves, the difference was they used a needlewheel instead of that awful meshwheel.  Same pump, same issues, different impeller. 

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I talked to him a few times before I decided to order my skimmer,  he said that the needle wheel impeller was the problem ans was an easy fix if you had problems. He said to just trim the brushes on the end of the impeller.

I never had any issues, just keep my sump clean and do regular cleaning of my skimmer and pump.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
teebone110 link said:
I talked to him a few times before I decided to order my skimmer,  he said that the needle wheel impeller was the problem ans was an easy fix if you had problems. He said to just trim the brushes on the end of the impeller.

I never had any issues, just keep my sump clean and do regular cleaning of my skimmer and pump.

It's the cleanings that wrecked my pump...that angle on the cord.  The impeller was more or less just a nuisance, not a real 'issue'.  15 amps of juice into the water was. 

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Remember you are talking about the same guy that tried to bring in 20000 lbs of live rock for a fence...

It wouldn't surprise me if something shady was going on here. 

I will say I also love the swc skimmers and have put them on many tanks but not the 160 if I can recall.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I think the government missed the swc 160 somehow.  The only funny thing is the guy that bought mine off me ended up screwing me over on something else, if we were still talking I might warn him.