Protein Skimmers/return Pump/lighting

Dee2010

Hi all,

Wondering if I could get some advice on what's a good skimmer for a sump? Picking up my reefer 170 next week.=)

Also just found out it doesn't come with a return pump as well....so could use some insight as to what you all use or recommend ? Basically best bang for your buck kind of thing.

Also need lighting thinking one or two AI prime or ecotech xr30w?

Thanks in advance

MrHermit85

I have always liked reef octopus skimmers, they have a skimmer for every budget, are decent performers and are a big brand so parts are easier to find. Can’t suggest which lights to go for From experience as I have always built my own but comparing the two above, the Ecotech would knock the primes out the park spec wise, you would get great spread with just one unit (less power chords and fixtures to move when doing maintenance...). The Ecotech has a higher wattage 190w ( so you could run it lower and still get the colour and power you want without running at full. A I s are also great units between 2 you would be around 100w, you won’t require a reef link their mounting systems are nice... I do think one bigger fixture would be better for a 24 inch long tank though...

I guess it is unfair to compare an Ecotech to a prime :) the 26 or 52 would be more comparable. Also something to keep in mind, Ecotech bought ai. I have a prime and ai does not stock pucks or many parts for the primes anymore. Not sure about the 26 or 52...

All the info above is from prior reading so please correct me if I am wrong anyone :)

Last edited:

Josh

Best skimmer advice i can give is to take your time and get a good used one, skimmers are expensive and quality matters. You wont run the skimmer for the first bit while you cycle so you have lots of time.

Return you are looking for around 2000 LPH (, you can go up a size and dial the speed back so if you are going to go DC i would grab a 3k and run it lower than full speed, DC pumps seem to prefer to not run at full speed. Non DC version would be a mag 5 or equivalent.

Wont chime in on lights since both type you are considering I have never run, LED's never a bad decision though, just be careful when you first set the intensity and start low and raise slowly.

Good luck!!! Look forward to see your build

Dee2010

Thanks all for the replies. Yeah I was considering Reef octopus and noticed Red sea make some nice looking ones. Sucker for the nice looking things lol.
But got some time for that like MrHermit85 stated.

Regarding the pump the guy at BA north York recommended a Italian brand sicee. He said they are quiet and have a good warranty, he was suggesting anything 300 gph would be sufficient.

And in terms of lights I did contemplate LEDs myself I presume both those brands have replaceable leds??
I do have a nova extreme Marine grade 4 t5s think standard was two blue and two white I think is 24 inches heard some reefers said t5s work better but he had only frag tanks. So don't know.

If I can make it pretty would definately post the build lol but we'll see.

MrHermit85

I also forgot to mention that I use eheim compact pumps in the past with no issues. Super quiet and good price range. I have used both t5 and LEd and found that I preferred LED. It was probably because I have always had small tanks and Only kept lps and montipora... with a smaller tank being able to dim lights helps too...

Josh

I use 2 eheim compacts on my biocube, they are nice pumps. I said 530gph (2000 lph) because thats what redsea spec's for your tank, you could technically get away with 300 gph but realize you wont actually get 300 out of it. 300 gph is with 0 pipe restrictions. Im not sure what you would actually get but id guess closer to 200.

Dee2010

Based on everyone's advice I definately go with a eheim. That takes care of the pump then we have the protein skimmer.

Noticed a pretty cheap HOB skimmer for $80 on Amazon but don't know the brand but seen YouTube videos and review are ok what are your thoughts? Amazon.com has more choices and reef octopus but might suffer import taxes...

Or j was also thinking used but majority are rated for larger tanks. Even though most cases overkill is not a bad thing. But heard someone got a larger skimmer than reuqired and it stops when it's done skimming. Not sure if that's how it goes.

And for lights how's everyone take on used AIs or radions ? Some pretty good deals including arm but just not sure if the LEDs are replaceable? As not sure how much you life can get out of the blub. But news radions are steep given I am thinking the xr30 but big Al's has a no tax so that helps a bit. Where everybody gets their lights and skimmers? Lol

MrHermit85

IMO don’t buy a cheap skimmer from amazon. Rather put in the extra 100-200 and get a good one, hell even a curve 5 or simplicity before an amazon special :)

The way I look at it is you have already invested in an expensive tank, now is not the time to start skimping. IMO

Dee2010

IMO don’t buy a cheap skimmer from amazon. Rather put in the extra 100-200 and get a good one, hell even a curve 5 or simplicity before an amazon special :)

The way I look at it is you have already invested in an expensive tank, now is not the time to start skimping. IMO

I agree lol. Trying to cut corners cause this hobby just gets more and more expensive. But in my fresh water days It did backfire a few times, should know better by now.

At that Price i thought the reefer would come with everything but I was wrong. I mean didn't expect skimmer but no return pump was a shocker and that was after I paid lol.

Dee2010

The reefers are pricey but pretty.

They are. I looked around trying to find alternatives. Thought about IM tanks but didn't like the 12 inch height on a lot of their tanks and didn't come with a stand. After I put one together I might as well go Red sea. But it does hurt the wallet :confused:

On second note does anyone know if the LEDs on the radion or AI are replaceable or? How's second hand notice Jaysan selling a few not bad price. Just afraid of them burning out and than what are my options?

Matt1997

If Radions burn out I’d be surprised. I’ve had multiple different generations and never had an issue. Ecotech does sell replacement led pucks if it does happen.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Radion don't burn out. People are still running Gen 1's. But on a rare chance they are replaceable. The issue is finding replacements. They normally only keep the current version stocked.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Dee2010

Well got everything except the lights someone beat me to it.......:(

Anyone got some radions xr15/xr30 for sale with an arm??? Newb question, the is birghtness/lighting a lot better on the radion vs AI prime?

Good to know the LEDs are replaceable if need be and the durability is there.

Now just waiting on delivery of tank.....;)

Dee2010

Well got everything except the lights someone beat me to it.......:(

Anyone got some radions xr15/xr30 for sale with an arm??? Newb question, the is birghtness/lighting a lot better on the radion vs AI prime?

Good to know the LEDs are replaceable if need be and the durability is there.

Also ordered a media reactor what ppl normally put in them ? I heard carbon but never used in my current setup as there's a lot of debate whether its good or bad, insights? Also thought about putting something call np active pearls that suppose to reduce nitrates and stuff.

Now just waiting on delivery of tank.....;)