Pump Hardware

shipwreck

I have been running 3 reeflo dart pumps on this system. 1 is my return pump with the other two on a closed loop system. At least one, possibly both closed loop pumps have bad seals/bearings again. Trying to decide if I should repair them again or considering 1 or 2 maxspect gyre350 to replace the closed loop. Tank is 6' x 3' x 3' with the overflow on the 3' side and glass is 3/4". Thoughts on the gyre for this size or alternative options to the closed loop?

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
I had great luck with the super reef oct xp skimmers powered by the bubble blaster pumps. Never failed to start, three year warranty. Not sure what they have in that size.

can look around for a pan world style pump. The impeller is magnetically coupled to the motor so there are no seals to go bad. Again not sure what they have in the size you are lookin

shipwreck

I went ahead and ordered 3 new sicce psk pumps for my beast of a skimmer. Also went ahead with the 2x maxspect gyre 350 units. Im excited to get both. I have never been happy with the skimming or flow so hope both are solved. Should arrive this week.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

wtac

Late to the game but things to consider later...

As much as I like ReeFlo pumps for the power:flow ratio, their Achilles heel is in the seal. They are the worst of all "direct drive" impeller pumps and prefer magnetic coupled impellers like Iwaki/PanWorld/BlueLine. The latter are noisier in comparison but you can MacGuyver a mounted heat sink and computer fan onto the back of the pump after removing the shroud and fan. They are pressure rated and not significantly affected buy head loss and pipe friction vs the flow biased ReeFlo pumps.

I've used the ReeFlo Dart NW pumps and IME, they are too powerful for the body (air:water:recirculation:retention/contact time) in ReeFlo skimmers and best suited for heavily stocked systems to get a consistent skimmate production. Ideal body size for that pump is Aquatic Engineering's skimmer. Even with such a skimmer, it's overkill on a 1500gal moderately stocked mixed reef system, of one of my old clients.