Purple growth

Josh

The first photo is the only "purple thing" i could find. I did a 2nd go at it this morning. The 2nd and 3rd photos were to show a snail egg and how under UV it does glow purple. That being said the only other thing that showed any color similar to that is whatever is in that first photo.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
holy crap someone has a WAY nicer microscope than the one I borrowed to ident when I had them. I could only see basically a developmentally challenged sperm. I think that's what I typed in google, and up came *dinos. They're actually kind of neat close up (but a real pest in numbers!)

Last edited:

averhoog

holy crap someone has a WAY nicer microscope than the one I borrowed to ident when I had them. I could only see basically a developmentally challenged sperm. I think that's what I typed in google, and up came *dinos. They're actually kind of neat close up (but a real pest in numbers!)
Are the pics of what I have look like Dino’s to you.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Are the pics of what I have look like Dino’s to you.
It's hard to say, for me, there was a lot of strings hanging from corals all the time, everything covered in brown, corals all closed up. I still don't know how I got rid of them, I had the best results with hydrogen peroxide.

averhoog

I don't think coraline algae goes away when the lights are out overnight.
It dosnt really go away at night it’s prob more I can’t see it as well. It slowly gets worse as the weeks go one until I vacuum it It’s like flakes of purple stuff. Really weird.

Josh

I 100% get what you are saying.... It looked like coraline to me as well but the flakes are the weird part. Is your substrate that way? Or are those flakes unique to the area its growing?

averhoog

I 100% get what you are saying.... It looked like coraline to me as well but the flakes are the weird part. Is your substrate that way? Or are those flakes unique to the area its growing?
If I had to guess it grows on the gravel but didn’t stick. I can pull out some and the flake are brittle.