Quarta's 120g Reef Tank

Quartapound

YDEPq2n.jpg

Upgrade time!

Things were starting to look a bit cramped after a little over 6 years in the 24x24x18 45G cube, I'm moving upto a 48x24x24 120G!

I've already ordered 2x Ecotech XR15 G4 Pro's, and bought the Elite aquatics Overflow, which I'm very impressed with so far, seems incredibly well built.
9e3kF39.jpg

The overflow and return will be on the right end panel. The front, back, and bottom are tempered.

The overflow won't be centered , instead it'll be closer to the back panel so it lines up with the bulkhead in the room(next to the 45G now). My return and drain lines also pass through the floor to the basement sump inside that bulkhead wall, so it would be nice to have a straight shot down.

Having trouble deciding how I'd like to have my return line enter the tank.

Do I pipe over the top, or drill for another bulkhead next to the overflow box?

Which would look less intrusive?

I plan on using 3M adhesive vinyl to cover the back wall and a portion of the side with the overflow... I'm not sure I want to go the paint route, seems messier, and I've heard of issues with bubbling or that it's easily scratched... Thoughts?

Any suggestions on where to buy the vinyl? is it thin/adhesive enough to wrap around a corner, or would it need to be cut?

I'm still undecided on flow as well, i have a vortech mp10 and a gyre xf130 to start, I'll run those at 100% and see what kind of flow/noise we're dealing with... and spend more money accordingly, hah.

I might drill the overflow this weekend... not sure if my 60mm diamond bit has any life still in it... if not it'll have to wait until amazon can get one to me.

I'm pretty excited about all this extra space, I'll have a lot more flexibility than I've been previously accustomed to when it comes to stocking.

There will be 2 clownfish, a six line wrasse, chromis, and a small yellow tang moving from the old tank... Need to start thinking about some new friends for them. Suggestions? I'd like a small one spot foxface, probably another tang and wrasse, still undecided though!

...it begins!

elsheikh1974

YDEPq2n.jpg

Upgrade time!

Things were starting to look a bit cramped after a little over 6 years in the 24x24x18 45G cube, I'm moving upto a 48x24x24 120G!

I've already ordered 2x Ecotech XR15 G4 Pro's, and bought the Elite aquatics Overflow, which I'm very impressed with so far, seems incredibly well built.
9e3kF39.jpg

The overflow and return will be on the right end panel. The front, back, and bottom are tempered.

The overflow won't be centered , instead it'll be closer to the back panel so it lines up with the bulkhead in the room(next to the 45G now). My return and drain lines also pass through the floor to the basement sump inside that bulkhead wall, so it would be nice to have a straight shot down.

Having trouble deciding how I'd like to have my return line enter the tank.

Do I pipe over the top, or drill for another bulkhead next to the overflow box?

Which would look less intrusive?

I plan on using 3M adhesive vinyl to cover the back wall and a portion of the side with the overflow... I'm not sure I want to go the paint route, seems messier, and I've heard of issues with bubbling or that it's easily scratched... Thoughts?

Any suggestions on where to buy the vinyl? is it thin/adhesive enough to wrap around a corner, or would it need to be cut?

I'm still undecided on flow as well, i have a vortech mp10 and a gyre xf130 to start, I'll run those at 100% and see what kind of flow/noise we're dealing with... and spend more money accordingly, hah.

I might drill the overflow this weekend... not sure if my 60mm diamond bit has any life still in it... if not it'll have to wait until amazon can get one to me.

I'm pretty excited about all this extra space, I'll have a lot more flexibility than I've been previously accustomed to when it comes to stocking.

There will be 2 clownfish, a six line wrasse, chromis, and a small yellow tang moving from the old tank... Need to start thinking about some new friends for them. Suggestions? I'd like a small one spot foxface, probably another tang and wrasse, still undecided though!

...it begins!

Hi, I would suggest if you will add another tang just to make sure you get it and have her settle down really well in the new tank before you move your yellow tang, yellow tangs are so territorial and will have problems if you have it already in the tank and then adding new tang, it will be a big challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quartapound

Nice. You drilled it free hand going from the inside? How long did it take?
I did use a template to get the holes started. Felt like they took a long time, maybe 10 minutes per hole? I wasn't rushing it though. My arm is a bit sore today. Drilling from the inside seemed like a good way to keep the mess contained, didn't want to carry it back outside again.

TKdFiOr.jpg

The 120 has been squeezed into its new home.
A quick drain of half the tank made it light enough to slide out of the way, then a quick refill and some longer hoses attached to the basement plumbing got the old tank out of the way but still running 100% until the swap is ready to be made.

Last edited:

Fredk

That's not bad. That tank is 1/2" glass is it not?

I'm looking at converting my tank from a bottom drain to a low profile side overflow. I've drilled glass in the past, but using a drill press rather than free hand.

Quartapound

Nice start.
Any shims needed to level?
You hanging new lights from ceiling?
Boxing in the plumbing going into the floor?
Yep some shimming will be required. I haven't decided on light mounting yet (still waiting for them)... I might end up getting a refund, tank is almost ready... If that happens I may go in a different direction if I find a good deal on something used, so I haven't committed to any mounting option yet.

Eventually we'll skin the stand, I like the sleek Elos style look. Might get some acrylic cabinet doors. I'll box over the plumbing at that point too, but I'm not sure what material I'll use there.

Thanks for the all the encouragement guys.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Quartapound

Lots of work to be done before I can call it 'finished', but things have been moved... Doesn't quite look like it did when it was in my 45G, lol... Next hurdle will be some aquascaping... I like the look of the Caribsea Shapes Liferock Dry rock... I saw that Coral Reef Shop carries it. I'd like to do a few separate islands, maybe with a long branch or two.

Things went very smooth today with the tank swap. everybody seems to be happy still.

...now if only the damn lights would show up!
hv8qQNz.jpg

Quartapound

THEY'RE IN!!!!

Just picked up my Ecotech Radion XR15 G4 Pro's!!

I ordered them on Dec 31, just got them today....o_O
...I can't really fault Big Als for this one(I think?), seems like Ecotech dropped the ball and was severely understocked going into the holiday season/boxing day sales.... They were obviously not prepared for the demand.
My lights MANUFACTURING DATES are FEB 21, and Feb 20, 2018.
I just got these lights today... over two months after the date I purchased/ordered them, but only 2 weeks after they were manufactured.

I also decided to go in a new direction with my scape, and placed an order with PetsandPonds last night for 80lbs of Caribsea Life Rock. It'll be here tomorrow! Impressed with how fast they processed and shipped the order.

...So I've got my work cut out for me. I have everything I need to finish off the tank now (although I'm sure I'll find a reason to buy more stuff).

cant wait to get the lights plugged in so I can play with them, and get the rock so I can start the scape process.

...It's all starting to come together! (I guess I was due for a little bit of good luck ;))