question on how to get rid of dog hair in my tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kleko

hell o everyone i new to salt water fish i have a goden rateriver who sheds alot and his hair is starting to seep into the tank will thiss effect the tank or will it quickly decompose. i had an idea it might be the stupidest in the ideas of the world but would a protien skimmer work for getting rid of this? I realy dont know what to do either than remove it manualy wich could take hours. if anyone has any ideas about what to do or what you have done to stop it let me know
ps: its a 24g nano cube with 30 pounds of live rock, a clown, a snail, and a halloween hermit crab
Thanks,
mason

M

marks69

my goldens hair also migrates.  i just net out what i can.  the hair is so long it gums up a skimmer, at least the outer coat.  when i see any inside the dt i just siphon it out with a water change.  never seen it break down at all.

Kleko

aww that sucks it doesnt break down I cant look any where and there not be hair stuck to dome live rock or something now...
but is it harmful

S

shayneh

Not trying to be a dick but wouldn't regular brushing of the dog and general housekeeping help? We have three cats (long hair) and a dog (Australian Shepherd) and all shed like crazy. I'll get the odd hair here and there but nothing remotely near what your describing. Is your tank on the floor or is the hair all floating around and falling in your tank?

I would also advise that you keep the dog out of the tank....ha ha ha!

M

marks69

thinks it's the toilet and goes for a drink?
or he's plotting with the fish on a takeover of the house.  watch it when you go to bed.lol

S

shayneh

LMAO it is a retreiver.... mabye it's swimming laps preparing for the next duck hunt season? Sorry couldn't resist!

I am stumped on how to help you out as I have never heard of a problem like this. Do you have a younger family member that is being mischevious and dropping the dog hair in there? I mean if it's to the point of clogging intakes and being visible in the tank that is a s-load of dog fur....... ???

F

fishit

ya i don't get it man i have 2 huskies in the house and i don't get barley any hair in my tank 6ft long open top

Status
Not open for further replies.