Question On Salt

prism127

My daughter left the lid off my bucket of salt and it has now gone hard Is there anything I can do to make it useable again so I dont waste half a bucket or do I just need to scrape it to make it loose
thanks

Luke.

Distinguished Member
What kind of salt is it and how bad is it hard ? I had like chunks that were probably 5 inches and I just broke them up and just mixed the water for a good day , what brand is it? And how long was it left off ?

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Doesn't matter what brand it is.

Break up the clumps, mix up a batch and test for alk, CA, and mag once you've reached 1.025

Some of those elements may have been affected by the moisture. So test a batch and see where it's at. You may need to add a bit of alk,CA or mag to make up for any lost or affected elements.

Sony Xperia Z3

Luke.

Distinguished Member
I was jw what brand because I had instant ocean and no matter how tightly I tried to get the bad closed it would get chunky and then I bought fluval and I had the lid not on sometimes and had not reall any issues so that's just my experience with salt clumping

heath

Distinguished Member
I use instant ocean in the fowlr tank and in the summer no matter how good you put the lid on it goes lumpy, I just break it up and use it, its too dam expensive to throw out..

Skim

Well you could brake off some small chunks and put them into some small Zip lock bags. You go down town hang around the Mc D's and sell about 10 to 15 of them for 15 to 20 bucks and you take that and go get some more salt. You have to do this quick as some will as some may come looking for you and some will not know the difference. Its pretty much a one time thing but if your in a pinch. The company with the best container would be Aquavitro Salt in screws on and off and has a lock tab. Buy it use it up and if you don't like fill with whatever.
All kidding aside take the bucket and drop it a few times on concrete floor or smack the bucket against the side or corner of the house see if that will loosen it up some, if not chisel and Hammer should work.

Skim

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Also if you keep mixing it and then feel the water or take a light to see and if you see salt make sure you get it mixed it will stress corals out, better be safe then sorry . I'm nt sure about other people but I had 2 bags of instant ocean and have had the same issues so I bought fluval salt (in container) and also omega sea salt is good as well I only had clumps no bigger then a little eminem and by 3 hours my salts good to go ( but I do like the wait at least 6-8 hours just to make sure ) it's easier to aviod all mistakes then get the problem from them in my experiense! Hope this helps ! :)

heath

Distinguished Member
opened my pail of IO today to start making for a water change on the big tank, OMG, it was the biggest and the hardest chunk that I have ever had.. no more pails for me,,,

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
Keep you salt in a dry area, keep away from moisture. Ive never had an issue with salt clumping unless i left the bag or bucket openeed. Never have had a problem since using H20 salt.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
I have never had an issue with IO and buckets is all I have purchased since I started
+1, I buy 10 boxes or buckets of IO annually on boxing day, I've put 10 boxes through the same pail with the snap on lid and never had any clumping.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
all i use is instant ocean in a box once i open a bag i put it in the bucket.... if you need to get moisture out do the old flour wrapped in fabric.... it will suck the moisture out in a few days. but check levels in a mixed batch to be sure notthing was affected. just keep in a room temperature place and that shouldnt happen very cold or very hot will cause the moisture to condensate inside the bag or bucket

heath

Distinguished Member
all i use is instant ocean in a box once i open a bag i put it in the bucket.... if you need to get moisture out do the old flour wrapped in fabric.... it will suck the moisture out in a few days. but check levels in a mixed batch to be sure notthing was affected. just keep in a room temperature place and that shouldnt happen very cold or very hot will cause the moisture to condensate inside the bag or bucket

next time I am needing salt, which will be soon, I am going with the box/bags as well..this is the first time that my pail has clumped up this bad...