Questions about transplanting zoas

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
The green Australomussa that I got recently has about 30 neon yellow centered zoa polyps (and GSP) hitchhiking on the back of it, that are being overgrown. I would like to transplant the zoas onto another piece of rock to give them space to grow. The Aussie seems to like the shade and less current than zoas would like as well...

P1040035.jpg

I have looked at some vids (many of them contradict each other), but would like any first-hand tips (or best links) anyone can give me since this is new to me.  What to do...What not to do...

Read about the toxins, won't cut my fingers off...

Do you need to go into the rock under the base of the zoa? or are they like shrooms that will regrow the base if you cut/scrape them off the rock? Best way to attach them if I don't take rock with them?

Obviously, I don't want to handle the Aussie too much or damage it's growing edge. Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Best way is cutting the rock...looks like you could take a dremel and cut the piece of rock off....or get it started and break it.  Also maybe a chisel....less accurate but could work.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Thanks Darryl, removing rock it is...

Worst case, I cut that piece off and get a few polyps to start with.  Unfortunately many of them are in a strip a few polyps wide around/under the lip of the Aussie. I suppose I could cut a slit into the rock and split it off assuming that the sliver of base rock will separate from the Aussie skeleton. 

I know that zoas are very tolerant of being out of water, any idea on the Aussie? or should this process happen mostly submerged in a container of tank water?

Seggsy

I can tell you what I do - not sure it's recommended, but I have pretty good luck.
Also, really advise using gloves - maybe one every 3 times I play with Z&P, I find I have a little paper cut or something that swells and throbs for a couple of days.

Anyway, if it's easy to nip a piece of rock off, that is best.  If not possible, I take the rock with zoas out.  I use an old pocket knife and scrape the polyps off.  Sometimes the base will kinda peel off with the bunch I want, sometimes not so much.  Then I dry the polyps a bit and crazy glue on to a piece of dry rubble.  Let it set for a minute, swish in some saltwater, and place back into tank.  Probably 80% success rate.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
I think I'll have a go at both methods.  I can nip off that knob of rock to get a few polyps for sure and then I'll try Seggsy's "scrape and glue" method on the ones under the lip.

I'll let you know what happens...Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.