Radion Xr30 Pro G5

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
So got a note from reefsupplies about this light...first I'd heard of it... I kind of like the specs and what I see so far, anyone familiar with them at all (rumours etc)?

I think I'd like to add this to the setup, replacing one full bank of my DIY LEDs (still running after almost 10 years!!). I think these are rated for 48" but I recall from the very early kessils, they were prone to spotlighting, much less coverage than what they claimed...but their build quality seemed really good...way way way better than something say from fish street (I'm just done ordering anything from them, it's all 1 year disposable crap).

Price sticker is not cheap, but not crazy expensive, so just wondering if anyone has maybe the last gen of these?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=34&v=DWj54T2t8jI&feature=emb_title

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I put one in the shopping cart last night at reefsupplies...and this morn they're out of stock. Must be the cosmos telling me to stick with the DIY (or that I should have bought your old ones lol!) That mp40 is still busy rearranging substrate, frags and liverock in the tank :)

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
We really should look into installing a trader rating mod into this forum... I think we talked about it, can't recall whatever came of it.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Ordered. Let's see what these suckers can do, and if they're any better than the 120 led's, dimmers, timers and 10 ballasts I have set up now.

I went for the blue version, and I'll keep the 6' royal blue accent strip, and 2 of the existing 3 fixtures on the sides, I'll just replace the oldest one in the center with this fixture. If it lasts more than 2 years I'll replace all 3 with them, but after having a crappy wired-together mess work perfectly for 10 years, I simply have no patience for things that burn out after 12 months. :)

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Kessils are great when they work ! I’ve had 3 tuna blues a160 I would never recommend , they could grow anything . But I had 2 fail right after warranty and you CANT work on them at all so little disappointed but maybe these bigger lights are a better build . Only time will tell , the 3rd 160 has been working well for 3 years

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Kessils are great when they work ! I’ve had 3 tuna blues a160 I would never recommend , they could grow anything . But I had 2 fail right after warranty and you CANT work on them at all so little disappointed but maybe these bigger lights are a better build . Only time will tell , the 3rd 160 has been working well for 3 years
Matt talked me out of the kessils and into the radions. However it's probably the same thing...no servicable parts, so if their build/parts quality isn't there this will be the last pre-built fixture ever, and I'll go on the virtual warpath to promote DIY lol. I honestly just hate paying extra for something I could probably make myself, and I can always fix the stuff I make. Seems to me companies make things to last "just" longer than the warranty, then expect people to buy the latest version. My apex was like that, so I don't think I'll buy any more neptune stuff unless the replacement head unit lasts at least 5 years. I'd rather pay $5000 for a TV that will last 20 years, than $500 for one that lasts 13 months, but that's almost impossible to find anymore. In order for quality to improve, manufacturing has to come back to North America, but as long as unions are raping the manufacturing industry (honestly nobody at ford should have been making $100,000 a year to put bumpers on a crown vic, but I know two guys who made that at talbotville), it simply won't ever happen (which is why I do DIY lol) [/rant]

I'm assuming china MUST have some decent manufacturing plants, but we seem to see just the crap out of the sweatshops... although I do have to say...China got rid of the union problem ;)

Luke.

Distinguished Member
I have the older ai that you can replace everything on , unfortunately they obviously don’t make them any note which means the parts are going to be hard to come by , but yeah it’s so true, I’ve always thought we should be making as much as we can over here , but yeah , I guess it’s cheating to ship across the oceans then to make it locally / employe Canadians and Americans . Nothing against China or anything .. just makes more sense to me to make it here

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I have the older ai that you can replace everything on , unfortunately they obviously don’t make them any note which means the parts are going to be hard to come by , but yeah it’s so true, I’ve always thought we should be making as much as we can over here , but yeah , I guess it’s cheating to ship across the oceans then to make it locally / employe Canadians and Americans . Nothing against China or anything .. just makes more sense to me to make it here

Lol, considering china flu, teresa tam, july 21/21, I think we have a right to be a little angry with china. NOT Chinese people, but the government over there...