RB LED Close up Coral Shots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
teebone110 link said:
Here are 3 pics under different lighting....

camera settings

1/125
f11
ISO 3,200 \"H1.0.\"

daylight
actinics
rb leds only

try these settings out.

ISO 400
F4 - F8 (our tanks are shallow so you dont need to grab a huge depth of field, keeping this setting lower allows more light into the picture, making them not so dark when shooting with faster shutter speeds, coral closeups for me come out best around F4, full tank shots do better with it a bit higher up around F8)
Shutter @ 1/50 - 1/100 (adjust this to bring your exposure close to 0)

if your photos are dark with these settings at iso400, bump that up to iso 800

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
+1. :)  always try new stuff, if you find something that works, would love to see and try.

Tank these were taken also is only 6" deep.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Here are the pics I just posted in my build thread.....

Still need to dial things in better.  The FTS is Duke's settings and the fish shots are Jerry's settings

Here are a few new shots, with some settings recommended by both Jerry and Nick. Thanks guys, getting closer...

DSC_0618BAsJMT_zps507d3f6e.jpg

DSC_0622BAsJMT_zpsf11e602f.jpg

DSC_0623BAsJMT_zps2f17e65d.jpg

DSC_0659BAsJMT_zps0a501f01.jpg

These were takin with my actinics on. I will try to figure out a few with my RB LEDs only...

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
teebone110 link said:
Here are the pics I just posted in my build thread.....

Still need to dial things in better.  The FTS is Duke's settings and the fish shots are Jerry's settings

Here are a few new shots, with some settings recommended by both Jerry and Nick. Thanks guys, getting closer...

DSC_0618BAsJMT_zps507d3f6e.jpg

DSC_0622BAsJMT_zpsf11e602f.jpg

DSC_0623BAsJMT_zps2f17e65d.jpg

DSC_0659BAsJMT_zps0a501f01.jpg

These were takin with my actinics on. I will try to figure out a few with my RB LEDs only...

wow your tank is freaking sweet man, and the photos are looking great!! Some things i notice in those photos if you dont mind me pointing them out, the first 3 photos are very noisy or grainy if you look at them, thats from your high ISO settings, its ok tho because it takes a pretty high end camera, to get low-noise/high-iso, for me i always shoot the tank at iso800 or lower.. most of my shots are at iso400 or even iso 200 for non moving stuff like chalice, acans and plating corals etc etc as long as i can keep the exposure levels in check. Your "F" number you can think of as depth of field sorta. the higher you go the more depth will be in focus.. but the darker the photo will turn out and vise versa a lower F.. means more light and less depth of field which is perfect for shooting fish, the subject(fish) will be in focus and the background will be blurred out, the second great thing about shooting like this is your letting much more light into the lens so it allows you to speed your shutter up a bunch which makes even the fastest moving fish totally in focus and not blurry. Next time your taking some photos try for some fish photos at ISO400  F4  1/250 (or whatever shutter speed you need to be at to get your exposure levels close to 0) and see how that feels for you, if they are really dark, give ISO800 a shot. then give some close up non moving coral shots a go at like ISO200 F5 1/50 (or again whatever shutter speed you need to get your exposure in check) and they should come out nice and high quality looking. Thats what works for me, hopefully its somewhat helpful for u.

Status
Not open for further replies.