Reboot. Reset. Nuclear War. Let's Begin.

reef keeper

Super Active Member
Well. I've had it. A disgusting, unwinnable war against a foe with millions of years of evolution. Red turf and bubble algae have infected my rocks to a degree that.., well, just makes me kinda sad. And mad. All this stuff came in on a couple of frags. I wasn't paying attention to the bubble algae, and it spread. And THEN THE RED TURF snuck in somewhere. I was so impressed at how my corraline was growing. So dark purple, almost red. It covered everything, and really looked great...... Until I touched it, and realized it really wasn't....... Not. Good.

So I have bubble algae and red turf. And other than that, everything is great. So it's new rocks, new substrate. And that's ok by me.

Luckily, I am picking up a small 84x30x12" frag tank. Sump is undersized at 60x30x15. Inches. Hehe.

So all my corals, fish and some of the clean rock is going into my tiny tub of a frag tank.

I'll be rinsing the substrate. And it will be available. Clean and dead.

I will also nuke the rocks in muriatic acid.

They will also be available sometime in the spring.

Just goes to show. Handle any problems right away.

Now repeat it a hundred times.

Hey - anybody have a spare skimmer! Lol.

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
You need to look deep into the reason why this happened so you don't repeat it. I was told by a wise old salty. You never see experienced reefers scrap their rock and start again. They work their issues out, they get the system to a point that they couldn't grow algae on a rock if they wanted to. Sorry I'm wrong they can grow algae (coralline algae) :)

reef keeper

Super Active Member
I know what happened, and really, I guess I could battle this thing for eons. Or, I could just get new rock, make a better scape. And go again.

Sometimes the amount of time and money isn't worth the fight. That red turf is a real bitch.

Fish list to follow

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
i would stick it out as the red turf aka "cotton candy algae" could eventually go away. I knew guys who had it before and it it finally disappeared. Mexican turbos are known to eat that stuff, but it can be very stubborn.

What will you do if you go through all the effort to get new rock and you discover bubble algae again? It will likely come in again in a new system one way or another. Big tangs love to eat bubble algae and they should keep it in check.

Have you considered Zeovit A-Balance? Its a newer product on the market designed to eradicate cyano and reset the bacteria balance in your system, might be worth a try if your in a rush to take care of things. I don't think red turf is caused by a bacteria imbalance tho :)

https://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/Zeovit-A-balance-1L.html

a-balance.png

Last edited:

Kman

Super Active Member
I would not start over you can manually remove the algae. It will take a few rounds but if you limit your nutrients it will slowly go away. The cause of this is you stocked your system to heavy before it was ready. This is why we do long cycling of the tank before livestock is added. All those fish you have are a huge bio load on a immature system. If you keep starting over you will just run into the same situation because it is husbandry related not something wrong with the system. So you need to learn patience in stocking your system or you will keep running into this. I myself would not make this situation worse by adding more products to the mix. This is something that you can take care of yourself if you stict to it and not get lazy.

reef keeper

Super Active Member
This isnt cotton candy, and it can't be removed manually. It's TURF. I can't even scrape it off. It apparently has long runners, and buries into the Rock. The rock is pukani.... so odds are good it will be a battle for ages. the bubble algae isn't such a huge deal, but again, it's buried in the crevices of the pukani.

Kman

Super Active Member
Take a course brush and scrub the crap out of it. If you keep damaging the tissue that is out of the rock the algae can't photosynthesize and it will start to die off regardless of runners. All algae are the same if you stop or restrict photosynthesis they die off. It is a very manual way of doing it but you will get it under control if you keep on it. I myself don't like starting over unless I absolutely have to and have killed off this type of algae a few times using this method. Will it be a pain? Hell yeah! lol You can beat this if you stick to it.