Recommend a Budget Skimmer

jeff.l

I am sick of the problems I am having with my current skimmer.  While i think I can fix many with a new pump I am thinking it might be time for an update.  I have been looking at a few but would love opinions, tank is 135 with 55 sump.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
if you go with a budget skimmer, sometimes you really get what you pay for and will be in the same situation you are now.

Maybe keep an eye on the classified for a good quality used skimmer and you might get a gem.
You should probably be looking for something rated in the 250 gallon range.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
For advice, keep in mind that he is looking to go SPS dominate from a post a few days ago. He is running a 150 gallon tank
6 full spectrum par 38s, Euro reef RS180 protein skimmer, and an Apex controller. Pretty sure that the RS-180 is a good skimmer from the reviews I read, and a very expensive one. I do not see any posts about the issues that you are having with your skimmer. Maybe helping you with this skimmer is a better option.

As for a new skimmer, I am with teebone110. You really get what you pay for. I love my SWC and Bubble Magnus is pretty good to. I hope that someone here has a nice one for sale, check out the for sale thread as well.

reeffreak

Super Active Member
Vertex skimmers best bang for your buck. I've never heard any bad review in them and the price is definitely within a reasonable amount.   

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
ive heard nothing but good things about the vertex skimmers,
i also still have a schuuran jetskim sitting around here without a pump ;)

jeff.l

I purchased the skimer second hand  from flavio.  There is a new pump on it that is a bubble magus sn2000.  Problem with this pump it was never designed to take a venturi but instead have another piece put on the outside holding a venturi. Instead what's happened is someone has drilled through the plastic part and placed a venturi fitting in it. The venturi doesn't really work because of it.

Sent from my tube on the lazy river

MrHermit85

I have a vertex, one of the in100's and the pump never starts up after you cut the power to it... Granted it is 3 years old. I have read nothing but good reviews for the bubble magus curves, you can pickup a 5 for $200 or a 7 for $280 odd. That will be my next purchase in the new year.

Giglio324

i have a reef dynamics ins-135 and it kicks ass. just replace the pump and get the complete setup with proper venturi. your gonna be spending money regardless this just may make it a bit less.
http://www.reefdynamics.com/category-s/54.htm

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I think for a budget skimmer people are having good luck with the bubble magus curve line. No comment on performance but I will be trying the curve 5 on a personal setup coming shortly.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
jroovers just picked up a new one that looked like the best bang for you buck, you'd have to go digging through his posts to find out the brand again. sorry.

jeff.l

Salty Cracker link said:
I would just spend the money on a proper pump for that 180. 

Has bubble magus improved their quality that I didn't know about?
I suppose that is another option. Good pumps?

Sent from my tube on the lazy river

jroovers

Super Active Member
Duke link said:
jroovers just picked up a new one that looked like the best bang for you buck, you'd have to go digging through his posts to find out the brand again. sorry.

That I did, really happy with it so far, and my system is comparable in size to yours (120 with a 40 breeder sump, so roughly 140-145 gallons total system water).  It is the JNS/AquaMaxx Cone-S Co2.  Only heard good things, and mine so far has been great. I've only had it for 6 or 7 weeks though, so long term success yet to be determined.  I was running a SRO-2000INT, and the JNS is rated for a much larger volume of water, which so far I've found beneficial.

I got mine from reef concept online, delivered from Quebec, Paid about $335 with taxes (free shipping).

http://www.reefconcept.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=3531

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
jroovers link said:
[quote author=Duke link=topic=6688.msg66324#msg66324 date=1383237790]

That I did, really happy with it so far, and my system is comparable in size to yours (120 with a 40 breeder sump, so roughly 140-145 gallons total system water).  It is the JNS/AquaMaxx Cone-S Co2.  Only heard good things, and mine so far has been great. I've only had it for 6 or 7 weeks though, so long term success yet to be determined.  I was running a SRO-2000INT, and the JNS is rated for a much larger volume of water, which so far I've found beneficial.

I got mine from reef concept online, delivered from Quebec, Paid about $335 with taxes (free shipping).

http://www.reefconcept.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=3531
[/quote]

thats quite the bubble plate on that skimmer,can you post a video as to see it work?

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
jeff.l link said:
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=6688.msg66343#msg66343 date=1383246938]

[/quote]

I have nothing but contempt for the atman 2500 pump, so you'll never get me saying anything nice about SWC or BM.

If you have the euro reef RS180, I found a couple of posts that say this pump http://www.fishtanksdirect.com/browseproducts/Gen-X-Water-Pump-GX6000.html
goes in it (although it likely needs a venturi setup).

All that said, I'm running a reef octopus on my system... haven't celaned it once since last year, and my sps are all looking good.  But since they don't pay me to sell reef octopus, that's my say on that :)

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Salty Cracker link said:
[quote author=jeff.l link=topic=6688.msg66350#msg66350 date=1383248684]

[/quote]

I have nothing but contempt for the atman 2500 pump, so you'll never get me saying anything nice about SWC or BM.

[/quote]

:dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead:

My SWC160 cone has been running problem free for over 2 years with the Atman 2500
Lol ;D

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
teebone110 link said:
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=6688.msg66358#msg66358 date=1383252456]
[quote author=jeff.l link=topic=6688.msg66350#msg66350 date=1383248684]

[/quote]

[/quote]

:dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead:

My SWC160 cone has been running problem free for over 2 years with the Atman 2500
Lol ;D
[/quote]

The curve line doesn't have the atman pump. It's  got the ROCK-SP pump.