Red Round Spots On Glass

reeflover

While my staurocladia jelly fish population was kept under control, I noticed this perfect round red/brownish spots on my glass. Some of them look like they have a tail...but not sure. I took a video of them for a more accurate ID... are those algae, worms, eggs???
Thanks for any help

reeflover

I was just cleaning my tank and when I tried to scrape this off they are very resilient, they just won't come off and if I insist with the scraper the middle will come off and they leave like a circle on the glass which I have to work hard to clean...
Flatworms look and act like this? I never had them so I don't know how well they stick to glass...

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
3ce0c0a3284e775936e347dc6d8bd2af.jpg

These are flat worms, they should come off really easy.

Kman

Super Active Member
Are they motile or do they stay put? For the tail does it have many tentacles at the end or one end? Is the round part hard?
If it doesn't move I have seen hydroids that have one end that is kind of sticky with a round protective case. It eats platonic food.

A razor blade makes short work of them. But really unless they are killing your coral or plague proportion I would not be to worried. Where is your live rock from?

reeflover

Are they motile or do they stay put? For the tail does it have many tentacles at the end or one end? Is the round part hard?
If it doesn't move I have seen hydroids that have one end that is kind of sticky with a round protective case. It eats platonic food.

A razor blade makes short work of them. But really unless they are killing your coral or plague proportion I would not be to worried. Where is your live rock from?

Magnets eventually cleaned them up. They were staying put and pretty much the whole part of them was hard. I can't tell if there are tentacles, the best things I have is the movie, it actually shows them way better than I was able to see them with bare eye or magnifying glass...

The rock is live rock from Big Al, the Fiji rock.

Last edited:

Kman

Super Active Member
In the video it doesn't look like they have tentacles at the end. At least to me. I have some books with cryptic animals like that in them for clarification. Knowing they are from Fiji will help cut down where I have to look.

But if they are not bothering anything I would not worry. But it is nice to know what they are.

reeflover

I confirmed their ID... it's simple coraline algae, they grew, overlapped and turned purple right before I cleaned them up. I see my powerheads are starting to develop them... yaay good news for my new tank.

heath

Distinguished Member
are you sure that its algae, I watched the video again and if you go frame by frame, some of them are moving. look at frame 31 far left side.. Almost looks like something in a nucleic, sorry if I blew your bubble..

MrHermit85

Watch out using magnet cleaners if there are hard deposits or creatures on the glass. If something like a grain of sand gets caught between the glass and the magnet you will have a nice old scratch left behind... Just from my experience with magnet cleaners.