Reef Angel Plus Controller Vs The Others

Themaddhatter

Hi guys I have 2 reef Angel plus controllers. Both working great. One was on my 125 Gallon, which I sold a while back, and the other is on my 93 cube. These are similar in function to an Apex but are open source arduino controllers. I have a bunch of accessories, probes, dosers, auto top ups etc for them too. I have both programmed with the basics, reading temperatures and pH. I also have the 93 gallon programmed for dawn till dusk PWM controlled lighting (led). I have WiFi modules for both as well. What I don't have lately is the time to tinker with the programming. Both my WiFi modules were connecting fine up until a power outage a few weeks ago that reset my router, and I haven't had the time to go in and change the IP addresses etc. Is the Apex simpler to use? I'm thinking of just selling both of these and starting with the Apex if that makes sense. I enjoyed the process of programming and setting up the RA Plus units but between my son's diabetes regimen, work, and a new business startup, I don't have the time. I also don't want to shutdown my tank. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I know the Apex is a pricey system, but if it makes my life easier, I don't care. If I decide to make the switch, I'll itemize what I have and post in the classifieds, if anyone is interested.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I have not used that controller, but after weeks of reading I settled with the Apex. The only place you may have an issue is with the PWM lighting. Apex does not have a module to control that directly and you would need a converter board to change the signal from 0-10v to PWM. They are only $30 or so. I mainly went to Apex due to is high level of customer support, both from them and through their customer forums.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Themaddhatter

I'm not too worried about the lighting. I just ordered 2 Mars aqua 165W pendants to replace my lights while I fix them up. They're PWM dimmable as well, but if I keep them, I can get a converter or separate led controller. Actually thinking about routing piping down to the basement so I can get rid of the sump upstairs, so the controller would be in the base anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk